Neon Lights (Demi Lovato song)
|Single by Demi Lovato|
|from the album Demi|
|Released||November 19, 2013|
|Demi Lovato singles chronology|
"Neon Lights" is a song performed by American recording artist Demi Lovato. The song was released on November 19, 2013, as the third single from her fourth studio album, Demi (2013). Ryan Tedder and Noel Zancanella produced and co-wrote the song along with Lovato, Mario Marchetti, and Tiffany Vartanyan. The song inspired the tour of the same name.
Background and composition
"Neon Lights" is a dance and an electropop song. In October 2013, Tedder explained his idea to produce the dance record, stating "That record, Neon Lights, we did intentionally because I wanted to. I heard it on [a friend's] demo-reel and the next day I woke up and the melody was in my head, and I couldn't get it out of my head for two days, that's when I knew." Tedder also went on to compliment Lovato's vocals stating "She came in and just ripped it. She in pop music has one of the biggest ranges, possibly the highest full voice singer I've ever worked with. She can belt full voice like three octaves above middle C, it's just crazy, and with complete power and complete control. At the beginning she's singing the lowest note she's ever done and by the end she's going as high as she's ever gone." Tedder say the song was a "Fun dance record." According to Musicnotes.com, Lovato's vocals span from the low note of C♯3 and the high note of F ♯5.
Lovato announced that the song would be the third single from Demi on September 27, 2013 by posting a short teaser video to her Facebook page featuring the words "Neon Lights" formed out of neon light tubes, with the background music being "Neon Lights". The words "SUNDAY 6 PM EST" appeared on screen just before it ended, suggesting the release of the music video or the new single. However, this was actually a reference to a live Facebook chat Lovato had with her fans on September 29, where she confirmed "Neon Lights" as the next single of Demi and also announced her associated tour of the same name in support of the album. Despite the announcement in September, the official release of the single was on November 19, with the music video being released two days later on November 21.
The song received mixed reviews from critics upon the release of Demi. Although critics praised the song overall, its placement upon the album was criticized. Jason Lipshutz of Billboard called "Neon Lights" a "misguided dance stunt". He explained that the song "covers well-worn electro-pop territory" and does so very effectively. He also states that the song is well done for "the blinking synthesizers and clomping bass that receive a boost from the singer's unflappable power."  Alter The Press! gave the song a positive review, stating that "Most recent single Neon Lights is certainly a standout track on the album, and well deserving of a solo release, with a huge chorus that allows Lovato to push her voice and show off the power harbored in her vocal chords, it's an ideal seller for the whole album."
The music video was released on November 21, 2013. The video was directed by Ryan Pallotta, who previously worked with Lovato, who co-directed the music video for her previous single "Made in the USA". The video begins as Lovato emerging from a pool of water. In the next scene, Lovato performed the introduction of the song in a room wired with neon lights and another scene where Lovato is later shown dancing and singing with the backup dancers in a club. During the video, Lovato is wearing neon makeup and neon rain starts falling down. The scenes are shown repeatedly throughout the video.
Lovato first performed the song at We Day on September 20, 2013. She then promoted it on October 3, 2013 at The Tonight Show with Jay Leno with a performance, the first on television. On October 7, 2013, Lovato performed the song during her interview at the The Ellen DeGeneres Show. Lovato performed the song during the results show of the third season of The X Factor (U.S.) on November 28, 2013. On December 31, 2013, Lovato performed it at ET Canada's New Year's Eve televised show. On May 21, 2014, Lovato performed it along with "Really Don't Care" at the 13th season finale of American Idol along with the Top 13 female contestants.
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- "Neon Lights" – 3:53
- Digital remixes – EP
- "Neon Lights" (Radio Version) – 3:38
- "Neon Lights" (Betty Who Remix) – 3:17
- "Neon Lights" (Cole Plante with Myon & Shane 54 Remix) – 6:04
- "Neon Lights" (Jump Smokers Remix) – 4:06
- "Neon Lights" (Belanger Remix) – 5:17
- "Neon Lights" (Tracy Young Remix) – 7:26
Charts and certifications
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||11|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||15|
|Brazil (Billboard Brasil Hot 100)||54|
|Brazil Hot Pop Songs||20|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||40|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||46|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||62|
|Israel (Media Forest)||32|
|Lebanon (Lebanese Top 20)||32|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||12|
|Philippines (Myx Philippines)||5|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||9|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||15|
|US Billboard Hot 100||36|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||20|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||7|
|Venezuela Pop Rock (Record Report)||10|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Gold||7,500*|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
|United States||19 November 2013||Digital download|||
|United Kingdom||15 June 2014|||
- Kitchener, Shaun (September 27, 2013). "Demi Lovato Announces 'Neon Lights' As New Single (LISTEN)". Entertainment Wise. Giant Digital. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Lipshutz, Jason (September 30, 2013). "Demi Lovato Announces 2014 Tour with Little Mix, Cher Lloyd, Fifth Harmony". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder Hails Demi Lovato's Voice And "Incredible" Range". Capital FM. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "Demi Lovato, 'Demi': Track-By-Track Review". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Ryan Tedder Talks About Working With Demi Lovato". YouTube. Capital FM. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Lovato, Demi. "Demi Lovato "Neon Lights" Sheet Music". musicnotes.com.
- "Demi Lovato's Facebook Video". Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- "Demi Lovato's Facebook Tour Announcement". Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Wilce, Tasmyn (December 2013). "2013: Albums Of The Year". Alter The Press!.
- "Demi Lovato - Neon Lights (Official)". Youtube.com. November 25, 2013. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- "Demi Lovato, the Jonas Brothers, Darren Criss, Chris Hadfield and Imagine Dragons Take the Stage Today for We Day Toronto". Market Wired. Yahoo! Finance. September 20, 2013. Retrieved January 8, 2014.
- "Demi Lovato Performs 'Neon Lights' For The First Time On TV". NOW 100.5 FM. 3 October 2013.
- "Demi Lovato Performs "Neon Lights" On 'Ellen,' Talks About Her Parents' Haunted House: Watch". Idolator. 7 October 2013.
- "Demi Lovato Performs 'Neon Lights'". ellentv.com. 7 October 2013.
- Kennedy, John R. (January 1, 2014). [Miley, Demi, Rob Ford: NYE shows had something for all "Miley, Demi, Rob Ford: NYE shows had something for all"]. Globalnews.ca. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "iTunes - Music - Neon Lights Remixes - EP by Demi Lovato". itunes.apple.com.
- "Ultratop.be – Demi Lovato – Neon Lights" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Demi Lovato – Neon Lights" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Hot 100 Billboard Brasil - weekly". Billboard Brasil. April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- "Demi Lovato Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Demi Lovato.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201415 into search.
- "The Official Finnish Charts - Demi Lovato". BGTop40. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Demi Lovato: Neon Lights". ifpi.com. Retrieved March 2014.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Demi Lovato – Neon Lights Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "The Official Lebanese Top 20 - Demi Lovato". Olt20.com. 14 January 2014. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- "Luxembourg Digital Songs - December 14, 2013". Billboard. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Mexico Ingles Airplay". Billboard.
- "Charts.org.nz – Demi Lovato – Neon Lights". Top 40 Singles.
- Myx Philippines , Myx Philippines Official Website
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "22, 2014/ Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- "Demi Lovato Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Demi Lovato.
- "Demi Lovato Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Demi Lovato.
- "Demi Lovato Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Demi Lovato.
- "Demi Lovato Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Demi Lovato.
- "Pop Rock General". Record Report (in Spanish). R.R. Digital C.A. April 6, 2013.
- "NZ Top 40 Singles Chart - December 30, 2013". RIANZ. Retrieved December 27, 2013.
- "American single certifications – Demi Lovato – Neon Lights". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "iTunes - Music - Neon Lights - Single by Demi Lovato". itunes.apple.com.