|Single by Sum 41|
|from the album All Killer, No Filler|
|Released||April 22, 2001 USA
October 1, 2001 UK
|Format||CD, cassette, DVD|
|Genre||Pop punk, rapcore, skate punk|
|Writer(s)||Deryck Whibley, Steve Jocz|
|Sum 41 singles chronology|
"Fat Lip" is a song by Canadian punk rock band Sum 41. It was released in April 2001 as the lead single from their 2001 album All Killer No Filler. It is the band's most successful single to date, topping the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. It peaked at number 66 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and at number 8 on the UK Singles Chart. The song was performed on Saturday Night Live on October 6, 2001, hosted by Seann William Scott.
The high-tempo song includes elements of hip hop, heavy metal, pop punk and skate punk, with Deryck Whibley, Dave Baksh and Steve Jocz sharing vocals. "The verses are really about what we do: growing up in the suburbs, going to parties and hanging out with our friends, and causing trouble. A lot of people say they relate to it," said Whibley. The song gets its name from the slang term for a swollen lip as result from being punched in the face.
The song topped MTV's Total Request Live and MuchMusic's MuchMusic Countdown in the summer of 2001. In the original Canadian version, the music video combines with "Pain for Pleasure", a very short Iron Maiden-esque song that is the only metal song found on the album. The video was ranked at #75 on "MuchMusic's 100 Best Videos". In the beginning of the music video, the band does an a cappella of the first verse of "What We're All About", which would be their future single.
Appearances in other media
The song is featured in several movies and video games, such as EA Sports' NHL 2002, American Pie 2, Guitar Hero, ESPN X Games Skateboarding, GuitarFreaks V4 and DrumMania V4 and as downloadable content for Guitar Hero 5. It can be heard playing in the distance at the beginning of the band's video for "In Too Deep." The song is also heard playing in the background during the season one Smallville episode titled "Leech".
The song has been generally well-received, with critics praising the song's unique style. Rolling Stone magazine described the sound of the song "as if Sum 41 went from Blink-182 to Beastie Boys to Black Sabbath, all in one song." The song is considered one of the band's signature songs.
- "Fat Lip" (3:04)
- "Makes No Difference" (3:12)
- "What I Believe" (2:52)
- "Machine Gun" (2:30)
- "Fat Lip"
- "T.H.T. (Tables Have Turned)"
- "Makes No Difference"
- "What I Believe"
- "Machine Gun"
- Deryck Whibley - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Dave Baksh - lead guitar, vocals
- Jason McCaslin - bass guitar, backing vocals
- Steve Jocz - lead vocals, drums, percussion
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||21|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||41|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||68|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||38|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||51|
|U.S. Billboard U.S. Modern Rock Tracks||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||66|
"It's Been Awhile" by Staind
|Billboard Modern Rock Tracks number-one single
August 18, 2001
"Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm
- Jill, Pesselnick. "The Modern Age." Billboard 19 May 2001: 80. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. University of Illinois. 18 Feb. 2008.
- "ESPN X-Games Skateboarding Review". Psxextreme.com. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- "Australian-charts.com – Sum 41 – Fat Lip". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Sum 41 – Fat Lip – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Sum 41 – Fat Lip" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Search for song". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: P". Hit Parade Italia. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Sum 41 search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Sum 41 – Fat Lip – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Fat Lip" Official music video on YouTube
- "Pain for Pleasure" Official music video on YouTube
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics