Forever Young (Rod Stewart song)
|Single by Rod Stewart|
|from the album Out of Order|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
|Writer(s)||Jim Cregan, Kevin Savigar, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart|
|Producer(s)||Rod Stewart, Andy Taylor|
|Rod Stewart singles chronology|
The structure of the lyrics in this song is very similar to a Bob Dylan song of the same title. When this was realized, the song was then sent to Dylan, out of respect, asking whether he had a problem with it. The two men agreed to participate in the ownership of the song and share Stewart's royalties.
Stewart wrote the song with two of his band members: guitarist Jim Cregan and keyboardist Kevin Savigar. Stewart told Mojo magazine in 1995 that he considered "Forever Young" to be one of his favorite songs and the reason for writing it was, "I love 'Forever Young', because that was a real heartfelt song about my kids. I suddenly realized I'd missed a good five years of Sean and Kimberly's life because I was so busy touring all the time. With these kids now I don't make that mistake- I take them on tour with me, so I can watch them grow up. So that's another favorite. Unfortunately, it wasn't a big hit in England, but it's like a national anthem here (America)".
In popular culture
Stephen Collins (as Walter Bernard, Sr.) and Josh Groban (as Walter Bernard, Jr) perform "Forever Young" as a father-son duet in the episode "Garden Party" of the eighth season of the American TV series The Office.
The song is featured in the "Tesco" 2013 Christmas advertising campaign.
|Canadian Singles Chart||9|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||46|
|UK Singles Chart||57|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||12|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||3|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||13|
- Caro. "The song remains the same? Copycats tricky to tag in a recycled culture". Chicago Tribune. Victoria Advocate. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- Songfacts. Songfacts. Web. 02 Apr. 2012.
- Nelson, Emily. "P&G Seeks New Way to Sell Pampers To Parents in Penny-Pinching Times". The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 18 November 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013. "Pampers' TV ad, [...] shows bear cubs, baby elephants and penguins snuggling with their mothers to [...] "Forever Young.""
- "The Office - "Garden Party" - Soundtracks". IMDb. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Glee - "Goodbye" - Soundtracks". IMDb. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
|This 1980s song–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|