Frankford High School
|Frankford High School|
|Oxford Avenue and Wakeling Street,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19124
|Type||Public High School|
|Motto||Home of Champions|
|School district||The School District of Philadelphia|
|Enrollment||1,800 (2005 est.)|
|Color(s)||Gold , Navy Blue , and Crimson|
|Assistant Principals||Wanda Scruggs
Reginald D. Fisher
Frankford High School is a public high school in the School District of Philadelphia. It is located at Oxford Avenue and Wakeling Street in the Frankford section of Northeast Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States.
Frankford was founded in 1910 as an annex to Central High School. For the school's colors, blue was added to the red and gold of Central. Frankford's slogan is "Home of Champions," a nod to its longstanding tradition of fielding strong sports teams. The school's athletic teams are nicknamed the Pioneers.
Frankford's soccer team won ten straight Public League Championships (1987–1996), four of which by shutout. Frankford's wrestling team won eleven straight Public League Championships ending in 2007. On May 19, 2010, Principal Reginald Fisher was cited in a report appearing in the Philadelphia newspapers that he was one of 15 administrators not certified to run their schools. Whether this issue has been resolved has not been reported as of present.
Frankford students are required to wear school uniforms. Upperclassmen uniforms consist of blue, red, or gold collared shirts and khaki bottoms. Freshmen uniforms consist of khaki bottoms, but with grey collared shirts.
- Joe Bonsall, singer The Oak Ridge Boys
- Jahri Evans, New Orleans Saints offensive guard
- Bobby Higginson, former Detroit Tigers outfielder
- Mike Jarmoluk, former Philadelphia Eagles defensive end
- Ralph Lewis, former La Salle University and NBA guard
- John Richter, NBA basketball player
- Blair Thomas, former Penn State and NFL running back
- Stevie Richards, professional wrestler
- Jonathan Maberry, author and educator
- Vince DeMentri, News Anchor
- Hector Andres Negroni, Air Force Fighter Pilot, Historian
- "Frankford High School Geographic Boundaries." School District of Philadelphia. Retrieved on October 4, 2011.