Father Judge High School
|Father Judge High School|
He shall not fail
|3301 Solly Avenue
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19136-2396
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Patron saint(s)||St. Francis de Sales|
|President||Rev. Joseph Campellone, OSFS|
|Principal||Rev. James Dalton, OSFS|
|Asst. Principal||Ed Harrington
Fr. Jack Kolodziej, OSFS
|Average class size||29|
|Student to teacher ratio||20:1|
|Color(s)||Sheridan Red and Columbia blue|
|Athletics conference||Philadelphia Catholic League|
|Rival||North Catholic (traditional) Ryan (modern)|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Publication||Writer's Bloc (literary magazine)|
|Affiliation||Oblates of St. Francis de Sales|
|Admissions Director||Mark Gudas|
|Athletic Director||James Patrick Lynch|
Father Judge High School is a Roman Catholic high school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. It was established in 1954 by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia and is run by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Clubs and activities
- 4 Athletics & Wellness
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 Notes and references
- 7 External links
The school is named for Father Thomas Augustine Judge (1868–1933), who dedicated his life to organizing lay missionaries in the northeastern United States. Fr. Judge founded the congregation of sisters whose "motherhouse" is located next to the high-school; these sisters then donated a portion of the land to the archdiocese on which the school was built.  http://www.fatherjudge.com/s/121/index.aspx
With a total of 61 classroom teachers and a student body of 1150, Father Judge has a faculty student ratio of 1:20.
Advanced Placement Program
Father Judge offers seven Advanced Placement classes for its junior and senior students: English, Language and Composition, Calculus, European History, American Government and Politics, Physics, and Biology.
Clubs and activities
Father Judge Model United Nations Team
- UNA-USA Model United Nations Conference 1st place (1999, 2002, 2006, 2007,2008 (only school to have won this title in back to back to back seasons, and three consecutive years in a row. Father Judge is also the only school to have won this award five times).
- North American Invitational Model United Nations 1st place (2003)
- Honorary resolutions from both the Philadelphia City Council and Pennsylvania State Senate for their achievements in debate.
CNN (The CRUSADER NEWS NETWORK) is Father Judge's television station. The student-run network provides announcements and information during homeroom periods.
Athletics & Wellness
Father Judge High School Athletics has a long storied "Tradition of Success" within the Philadelphia Catholic League (PCL) and the Philadelphia City (now PIAA District XII). The Athletic Department currently offers 14 interscholastic athletic programs, as well as 2 club sports programs. The athletic programs offered at Father Judge include: Soccer, Football, Golf, Cross Country, Fall Crew, Basketball, Wrestling, Bowling, Indoor Track, Baseball, Lacrosse, Outdoor Track, Tennis, Spring Crew, and club sports Ice Hockey and Rugby. Father Judge boasts 59 PCL Championships and 18 City (District XII) Championships over its 60 year history, with the most recent teams of Soccer, Wrestling, and Bowling capturing their titles in the 2013-2014 season.
Father Judge High School has some of the best facilities in the Greater Philadelphia region. Currently, Father Judge High School has two gymnasiums, a wrestling training room, a weight room and fitness center, a track & athletic complex, a synthetic turf multi-purpose (football, soccer, lacrosse, rugby) field, a synthetic turf baseball field, three locker rooms, and a cross country course in nearby Pennypack Park.
Patrick S. McGonigal '81 Center for Fitness and Wellness
The Patrick S. McGonigal '81 Center for Fitness and Wellness was launched in 2013 to offer fitness and wellness programming open to the entire student body. The weight room, fitness center, and gymnasium in the Mitchell Activity Center opens its doors daily until 5:00pm (4:00pm on Fridays) to any Father Judge High School student who wants to participate in the multiple programs offered after school. The McGonigal Center offers fitness programming, strength training, intramurals, and a newly created Outdoor Recreation Club. The McGonigal Center also offers a Seminar Speaker Series throughout the year which is open to various groups of students, student-athletes, parents, community, and alumni every couple months.
- Bob File, pitcher
- Joe Bonikowski, pitcher
- Joseph R. Cistone, bishop, diocese of Saginaw
- Joe Kerrigan, pitcher and manager
- Frank Legacki, swimmer and entrepreneur
- Michael McGeehan, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- John Sabatina, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Notes and references
- MSA-CSS. "MSA-Commission on Secondary Schools". Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- tmc3.com accessed July 2007
- "Departments". Fatherjudge.com. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Father Judge High School - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania/PA - Private School Profile". Privateschoolreview.com. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Father Judge High School - Advanced Placement Courses". Fatherjudge.com. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- The Catholic Standard & Times - Next step critical for Pa. marriage amendment[dead link]
- "Model United Nations". Fatherjudge.com. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- [dead link]
- "Resolution No. 060514:Resolution honoring Father Judge High School for achieving top honors at Model United Nations." Journal of the City Council of Philadelphia. June 1, 2006