|Full name||Frode Andresen|
9 September 1973 |
|Olympic medal record|
|Competitor for Norway|
|Gold||2002 Salt Lake City||4 x 7.5 km relay|
|Silver||1998 Nagano||10 km sprint|
|Bronze||2006 Turin||10 km sprint|
|Gold||2000 Oslo||10 km sprint|
|Silver||2000 Oslo||4×7.5 km relay|
|Bronze||1999 Kontiolahti||4×7.5 km relay|
|Bronze||1999 Kontiolahti||10 km sprint|
Andresen was born in the Netherlands, and lived one year each in Cape Town, South Africa; Laos, Nigeria; and Nairobi, Kenya, because of his parent's careers. They settled in Norway when Frode was four, and a year later he learnt to cross-country ski, taking up biathlon when he was twelve.
Andresen started competing in 1985 and has 15 World cup victories (as of 9 March 2006). In all Andresen has had 47 podium finishes, 15 1st (including three wins at the Holmenkollen ski festival biathlon competition with two sprint wins (2000, 2001) and one pursuit (2001), 15 2nd and 17 3rd places. On the January 22, 2006, Frode Andresen won the Golden Cup, which is a trophy awarded to the biathlete with the most points during the three world cup events after Christmas. Andresen is one of the fastest skiers in the field, but his shooting accuracy is questionable, his 03/04 season shooting statistics were 72% in the prone, and 67% standing, whilst the top biathletes are in the high 80% range.
On 14 February 2006 Andresen won the bronze medal in the 10 km sprint in the 2006 Winter Olympics in a time of 26:31.3, 19.7 seconds behind winner Sven Fischer of Germany, having missed one target out of ten. This gave him a complete set of medals in his olympic career.
A skilled and versatile skier, Andresen also participates in FIS cross-country skiing competitions. One of his best achievements in this sport is the first place in 20 km Freestyle race on 1999 Norwegian national championship which took place in Lillehammer.
- Frode lives with fellow biathlete Gunn Margit Andreassen, and they have a son together, David, who was born around Christmas 2004.
- He has a degree in economics and lists monitoring the stock market as a hobby of his.
- Frode is an avid cyclist, coming 26th at the 2002 Norwegian Championships in road cycling.
- As a child he cracked several teeth while skateboarding.
- Frode's official website (Norwegian)
- Wintersport biography
- NBC Olympics biography
- Holmenkollen biathlon information
- Frode Andresen at the International Ski Federation
- IBU Profile