Frode Andresen in Östersund in 2008
|Full name||Frode Andresen|
9 September 1973 |
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|World Cup debut||6 March 1993|
|Teams||3 (1998, 2002, 2006)|
|Medals||3 (1 gold)|
|Teams||14 (1995, 1996,
1997, 1998, 1999,
2000, 2001, 2002,
2003, 2004, 2005,
2006, 2007, 2008)
|Medals||9 (2 gold)|
Andresen was born in the Netherlands, and lived one year each in Cape Town, South Africa; Laos, Nigeria; and Nairobi, Kenya, because of his parent's careers. They settled in Norway when Frode was four, and a year later he learnt to cross-country ski, taking up biathlon when he was twelve.
Andresen started competing in 1985 and has 15 World cup victories. In all Andresen had 47 podium finishes, 15 1st (including three wins at the Holmenkollen ski festival biathlon competition with two sprint wins (2000, 2001) and one pursuit (2001)), 15 2nd and 17 3rd places. On the January 22, 2006, Frode Andresen won the Golden Cup, which is a trophy awarded to the biathlete with the most points during the three world cup events after Christmas. Andresen is one of the fastest skiers in the field, but his shooting accuracy is questionable, his 03/04 season shooting statistics were 72% in the prone, and 67% standing, whilst the top biathletes are in the high 80% range.
On 14 February 2006 Andresen won the bronze medal in the 10 km sprint in the 2006 Winter Olympics in a time of 26:31.3, 19.7 seconds behind winner Sven Fischer of Germany, having missed one target out of ten. This gave him a complete set of medals in his olympic career.
Andresen's last competition at the World Cup level was the sprint in Hochfilzen 15 December 2011 in the 2011–12 season. Andresen's last competition at the IBU Cup level was the sprint in Beitostølen 1 December 2012 in the 2012–13 season.
A skilled and versatile skier, Andresen also participates in FIS cross-country skiing competitions. One of his best achievements in this sport is the first place in 20 km Freestyle race on 1999 Norwegian national championship which took place in Lillehammer.
- Frode lives with fellow biathlete Gunn Margit Andreassen, and they have a son together, David, who was born around Christmas 2004.
- He has a degree in economics and lists monitoring the stock market as a hobby of his.
- Frode is an avid cyclist, coming 26th at the 2002 Norwegian Championships in road cycling.
- As a child he cracked several teeth while skateboarding.
- "Frode Andresen". IBU Datacenter. International Biathlon Union. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- Frode Andresen at the International Biathlon Union
- Frode Andresen at the International Ski Federation
- Wintersport biography
- Holmenkollen biathlon information
- Old IBU Profile