Gazetted Officer (India)
Gazetted Officers are executive/managerial/supervisorial level ranked public servants in India. Authority for a gazetted officer to issue an official stamp comes from the President of India or the Governors of States. To that effect, they are de jure representatives and delegates of the Indian State and the President.
The Gazette of India is published on a regular basis by the Directorate of Printing, Department of Publication, Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India. It is an official Central Government or State Government publication, which publishes the appointments or promotions of certain government officials. An officer or public servant, who is appointed under the seal of the Governor State or by the President of India at the national level (and in the Union Territories), requires being listed in the Indian Gazette or State Government Gazette and is considered to be a Gazetted Officer. If a person's name is published in the Gazette, he/she is called Gazetted. Many are honorary Justices of the Peace and have the same standing as some of the Magistrates. Such officers, among other functions, have the power to verify the documents for academic, immigration and other purposes.
The Government of India or the Government of States in India classifies public employees into Group A (Gazetted/Executive), B (Gazetted), B (Non-Gazetted), C and D. Earlier classification was Class I (Gazetted), II (Gazetted), II (Non-Gazetted), III and IV. Class I or Group A is the highest rank class and the Class IV or Group D is the least. The Government of India has plans to merge Group D into Group C. Class I and II (Gazetted) belong to the class of officers whose transfers, appointments, promotions and superannuation are published on a yearly basis in the official gazette of State or Union Government.
- Class I or Group A (Gazetted)
- These officials belong to the managerial or highest class of government servants.
- Examples - Commissioned officers of the Indian Armed Forces, Bureaucrats from the All-India Civil Services (IAS, IPS, IFS, etc.),Engineering Services officers, State Civil Service officers (executive) in the State Governments (PCS/SCS/PPS/upper subordinate officers).Patent Examiner in DIPP under Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Scientists and Technical Officers in R&D Centres under the Government of India (Department of Space (ISRO), DRDO, Department of Atomic Energy (BARC, Heavy Water Board/Plants, IGCAR, AERB), CSIR, Directors, Vice-Chancellors and faculty members of State/Central Universities and Research Centres, Senior Surgeons of Government health service , Chief Pharmacist, Chief Engineers of Central Public Works Department, Senior Geologist & Geologist of Geological Survey Of India & State government, Magistrates and above in the judicial services
- Class II or Group B (Gazetted)
- Examples - Lower officers cadre in the State Governments (Lower subordinates), Joiner Doctors is state/Central Hospital, Circle Inspectors, Assistant Engineers in both State govt. departments and Organizations etc., Assistant Geologist in State government, Principals of Government High Schools, Government High School Teachers (Grade-1 Teacher)
- Class II or Group B (Non-Gazetted)
- Examples -Secretary of Gram Panchayat, Office executives and office superviosrs, Senior Stenographers, Police Inspectors/Asst Police Inspectors (MH state only), Junior Engineers, Central Excise and Custom Inspectors, Personal Assistants to Group A and B officers etc..
- Class III or Group C
- Public servants in non-supervisory roles.
- Examples - Head clerks/Section heads, Police Constables, Senior Machinists/technicians in engineering departments, Typists, Stenographers, Tax Assistants, Telephone operators, etc.
- Class IV or Group D
- Manual workers (skilled or semi-skilled).
- Examples - Lower Division clerks, drivers, technicians/mechanics, electricians, canteen staff, etc.
Who can certify documents
Attestation of copies of original documents: Group A and B (Gazetted) public servants.
Character certificate, Police records verification: Group A officers.
Citizenship certification: Group A officers, certification is limited to very few officials such as Sub-Divisional Magistrate etc.
Officers who are in category II of Group B but are not in possession of any significant administrative position are categorized as Non-Gazetted. Also, personnel falling under the category of class III and IV are not gazetted. They do not have the personal authority to issue an official stamp on behalf of the Government. Further, officers serving in Nationalized Banks and PSUs are not gazetted.
- "DoP - Gazette". Department of Publication. Retrieved 23 September 2013.