Gomal Medical College
|Gomal Medical College|
|Type||Government / Public-sector|
|Principal||Prof. Dr. Muhammad Saleem Gandapur|
|Location||Dera Ismail Khan, Pakistan|
Gomal Medical College (GMC), Dera Ismail Khan is one of the newer generation of medical colleges in the public sector that were set up by the government in the 1990s to meet the ever-growing demand for health service providers in the Pakistan. It started functioning in 1998 and now has grown into an established seat of medical learning in the region. It was initially affiliated with the University of Peshawar, which has been the premium public sector university in the province of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa since 1952. Now it is affiliated with the Khyber Medical University.
All aspiring medical students have to undertake ETEA medical test for public sector medical colleges of the province consisting of 200 MCQs held in August. Successful candidates usually start their classes by November each year. The college follows the same academic guidelines which have been laid down by the PMDC (Pakistan Medical and Dental Council).
Basic Medical Sciences
- Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- Pathology and microbiology
- Community medicine
- Forensic medicine
- Medicine (including neurology, pulmonology, cardiology, gastroenterology and nephrology)
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Affiliated teaching hospitals
- Mufti Mehmood Medical Complex
- District Headquarters Teaching Hospital
The college is fully recognised by the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) and is listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) maintained by FAIMER.
- Khyber Medical University
- Gomal Medical College
- FAIMER list of recognised medical colleges
- Pakistan Medical and Dental Council