"Portrait of the Artist," Chateau Series, Cottage 84, by Steve Erle, 2013
|Born||Gregory George Siff
December 21, 1977
Brooklyn, New York
Siff was born in Brooklyn, New York. He creates images that blend Pop Art and Abstract-expressionism. His distinct handmade style merges elements of abstraction, street, and fine art while his work embodies emotionalism normally absent in urban art.
Siff's first exhibition, "the heartfirebreathemanifesto" was hosted at the Standard Hotel in Hollywood on February 13, 2006 with all proceeds from this exhibit donated to J.U.i.C.E. (Justice By Uniting in Creative Energy). Since 2006 Siff has exhibited all over the world including Los Angeles, New York, London, Italy, Dublin, and Vancouver.
Siff has done commissions and installations for Deitch Projects, The Standard Hotel, Mercedes Benz, Tumblr, Christie’s, Sothebys, Vans, Red Bull, The Art of Elysium, Siren Studios, Wexlers Deli, and Warner Bros. Records among others. In addition, Siff has collaborated with artists RISK, James Georgopoulos, 2wenty and Beau Dunn. His work has been seen in publications such as Interview, Treats Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Complex, and LA Weekly.
In Spring 2013, Siff was selected by Vans Custom Culture to be one of their "Art Ambassadors", inspiring students across the United States to embrace their creativity. His hand-painted custom Vans sneakers were on view at The Whitney Museum of American Art in New York City. Siff's work can be seen at ACE Museum in Los Angeles where he painted a mural for a charity art auction held by renowned auction house, Christie’s and non-profit, The Art of Elysium.
In October 2013 Siff collaborated with Helmut Lang and Project Angel Food, a Los Angeles based charity whose mission is to help those affected by HIV/AIDS, Cancer, Diabetes, and other life-threatening diseases. In this collaboration he hand painted 21 limited edition, one of a kind Helmut Lang tees. "The line work, characters, and poetry aimed to nourish the body and spirit, just as Project Angel Food does with their mission," said Siff. The private event was held on October 17 at Helmut Lang's flagship store on Melrose Avenue in West Hollywood, CA. All 21 tees were sold out and 100% of the proceeds from the sale of these original works benefited Project Angel Food.
In April 2014, the Santa Monica Museum of Art showcased a recreation of Siff's downtown Los Angeles art studio where he painted 50 portraits of the homeless youth he encountered while spending a day at the Safe Place For Youth for the Face 2 Face Fundraising Gala.
In June 2014, Siff's work was included in The Museum of Modern Art PS1 exhibition Rockaway! to celebrate the ongoing post-Superstorm Sandy Recovery. Curated by MoMA PS1's director Klaus Biesenbach, in close collaboration with Patti Smith, Rockaway Beach Surf Club, the Honolulu Biennal, and the Rockaway Artist Alliance, this group show included the "Experience Rooms," Siff painted in the Rockaway Beach Surf Club bathrooms. Other artists in the exhibition included, Marina Abramovic, Patti Smith, Janet Cardiff, Brandon D'Leo, James Franco, Michael Stipe, Tom Sachs, and Adrián Villar Rojas.
Film, Television and Theater Career
As an actor, Siff started out on stage at the New York City Opera at Lincoln Center. Among the operas he sang in were; Carmen, Tosca, Lucia and Turandot. He has been cast in the duel role of Barry Williams/Greg Brady in Fox's True-Life story of, The Brady Bunch: The Final Days. In I.F.C.'s Rome & Jewel, a modern update of William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, he played the role of Tybalt. He has also guest starred on Showtime's Nurse Jackie, HBO's, How To Make It In America, and C.S.I: N.Y.
In 2008, Siff wrote and starred in, The Nothing Boys, a critically acclaimed semi-autobiographical play about a young man who returns home to his high school for his 10-year reunion only to find one other student in attendance. The Nothing Boys was produced by Rob Weiss, best known as producer of HBO's Entourage. The play ran from May 2 through July 27 in Hollywood's Theater District. A portion of the proceeds from, The Nothing Boys was donated to Covenant House California.
In Spring 2010, Siff's experimental art short film, Sequential Paint, written and directed by Stephen Dackson, was a featured selection at the NewFilmmakers Series in New York City's Anthology Film Archives. The film also screened at various exhibits, art shows and galleries in Los Angeles, including the opener of the 2006 Santa Ana Film Festival.
As a voice actor Siff appears in the video game series, Grand Theft Auto as the voice and body of Rocco Pelosi. Rocco Pelosi is featured in Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony (2009) and Grand Theft Auto V (2013).
- Gregory Siff's The heartfirebreathemanifesto, maximilliangallery.com, 2006
- Siff at Gallery Brown
- Gregory Siff, The Marshmallows, The Art Parade, September 8, 2007, Photo num. 45
- The 6th Street Mural, Standardculture.com
- Gregory Siff Collaborates with Mercedes Benz and Art Of Elysium, Installation Magazine, April 2014, Retrieved May 21014/
- Gregory Siff Muralizes Tumblr HQ, Vimeo.com, 2013
- These Artsy Rides Are Cruising to LA's Art of Elysium Auction, LARacked.com, February 2014, Retrieved May 2014
- The Art of Elysium
- Wexler's Deli Hits April 28; Grist & Toll Dinner at Union, LA Eater, April 2014, Retrieved May 2014
- RISK x Gregory Siff, RiskRock.com, 2008
- Artist 2wenty, Streetartsf.com
- LA Beau Dunn, twelvmag.com
- Gregory Siff In Treats magazine, Treats Magazine, May 2014, Retrieved May 2014
- The Art of the Rockaways: Greg Siff Sells Painted Sandy Debris to Benefit Storm Relief, The Wall Street Journal, 2013
- Letters To A Young Painter, LA Weekly, 2013
- Gregory Siff LA Canvas cover, 2011
- Vans Custom Culture Art Ambassadors, offthewall.tv, 2013
- Gregory Siff's Custom Culture Vans, vansart.tumblr.com, 2013
- Gregory Siff For Helmut Lang and Project Angel Food on Vimeo, Shot by James Georgopoulos, October 2013
- Gregory Siff For Helmut Lang and Project Angel Food, Installationmag.com, October 2013
- The Mirror Mirror Project At Face 2 Face Gala, Retrieve Feb. 2014
- Face 2 Face Fundraising Gala, SafePlaceForYouth.org, Retrieved Feb. 2014
- Precognito/Incognitio 2014, smmoa.org, Retrieved Feb. 2014
- MoMA PS1's Rockaway!, MoMaPS1.org, June 2014, Retrieved July 2014
- The Nothing Boy's, LA Weekly, 2008
- Sequential Paint, Newfilmmakers.festivalgenius.com, 2010
- Tarot: Art of Fortune, Modern Eden Gallery, 2013
Further reading and other media
- Gregory Siff's Kaviar Cigarettes and Tank Tops At The Standard Hotel June 14, 2014, standardculture.com, Jun. 2014, Retrieved Jun. 2014
- REVOLT T.V.- Art Attack - Gregory Siff Interview, June 2014, Retrieved June 2014
- RISK - Shattered LA Rooftop Mural Party, April 2014
- Siff and Stone May Break My Skull But Arts Will Forever Cure My Soul , Hartiska Magazine
- Graffiti Art Comess off the Streets Into Palm Springs Gallery , Palm Springs Life
- Sicky Interviews - Gregory Siff, Sickysworld
- Gregory Siff Fly Project, Sickysworld
- Style Magazine Cover Showcases Gregory Siff Artwork, Sickysworld
- Hollywood Style Scene - Live Art: A Look At the new Live Large Elephants and Artists
- The Vanguard Diaries, Installation Magazine
- Gregory Siff: Writings on the Wall, Visionary Artistry Magazine
- Observer - Gregory Siff, Ammo Magazine
- Risk x Gregory Siff, Riskrock.com
- Gregory Siff Sets up Paint for Live Art at Urban Outfitters, NME Magazine
- There and Back, Vimeo
- G, Vimeo
- Preview: Gregory Siff 'G' Art Show, Creative Cartel, Vimeo
- Gregory Siff- Fine Arts, cdsavoia.com
- Behind The Artist, Leveled Mag.
- Gregory Siff Finds A Time For Souls, 1XRun
- Red Bull Curates
- Gregory Siff Paints Mural, Huffintgon Post
- Mural - Mondrian x Ciroc x Sunset Strip The Movie x Gregory, Hollywood, CA, May 26th, 2012
- Opening Gala, West Hollywood Public Library in conjunction with Maximillian Gallery, Sept. 24th, 2011
- Live Painting - Sega E3 Sonic Boom: Sonic the Hedgehog's 20th Anniversary, Nokia Theater, Los Angeles, CA. June 9th, 2011
- GET ART 4: A Project Angel Food Event, Siren Studios, Hollywood, CA. June 4th, 2011
- 6th Street Mural, The Standard Hotel - Downtown, Los Angeles, CA, March, 2011