The Standard hotel brand is a part of Andre Balazs Properties. It is a group of five boutique hotels in Los Angeles (Hollywood and Downtown LA), New York City (Meatpacking District and East Village) and Miami Beach.
The first Standard Hotel, The Standard Hollywood, opened on the Sunset Strip in 1999 in West Hollywood, California. It was opened by Andre Balazs Properties, which continues to run all of The Standard Hotels.
The building that now houses The Standard, Hollywood, was originally built in 1962 as the Thunderbird Motel, and had become a retirement home when Balazs purchased and remodeled it. Original investors in the Hollywood hotel were Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz, Benicio del Toro, D'arcy Wretzky and James Iha.
In 2002, a twelve-story, marble-clad building formerly known as Superior Oil Company Building (completed in 1956) was converted into The Standard Downtown LA . The renovation was designed by Koning Eizenberg Architecture, Inc., and included the addition of a roof-top pool and bar, and a two-story lobby space reconfigured from the old banking hall. In 2003, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Standard Hollywood in West Hollywood
- The Standard Downtown LA, located in the former Superior Oil Company Building
- The Standard Spa, Miami Beach (Miami Beach, Florida), a holistic and hydrotherapy spa hotel on Biscayne Bay
- The Standard, High Line (New York City), straddling the High Line in the Meatpacking District of Manhattan
- The Standard, East Village (New York City), formerly the Cooper Square Hotel
- Farr, Louise (March 1999), "Setting the Standard: Well before its opening, the Standard is already attracting the young and trendy", W Magazine: Volume 28 Issue 3
- Tyrnauer, Matt (February 1999), "Hop on the High Line", Vanity Fair
- Tyrnauer, Matt (March 1999), "Hotel California: The Standard, Andre Balazs' newest hotel, is designed to lure the young and restless by marrying the chi with cheap and past with future", Vanity Fair: 102, 104, 110
- Verbila, S. Irene (September 19, 1999), "Hip on the strip", Los Angeles Times Magazine: 34
- Media related to Standard Hotel at Wikimedia Commons
- Standard Hotel website
- Andre Balazs Properties website