Harbor Commons, also known as Empire Outlets New York City, is a proposed 350,000-square-foot retail complex that will feature 100 designer outlets and a 120,000-square-foot hotel.
It is to be constructed near Saint George Terminal and Richmond County Bank Ballpark, in the St. George neighborhood of Staten Island, New York City, alongside the proposed New York Wheel, a 625-foot (190.5 m) tall giant Ferris wheel scheduled to open on July 4, 2016. The two projects are going through the approval process simultaneously and will share consultants on issues such as traffic and the waterfront, however they are separate projects with separate funding.
BFC Partners, based in Brooklyn, will construct Empire Outlets / Harbor Commons, under the auspices of the developer, Economic Development Corp.SHoP Architects is providing architectural design services. DeSimone Consulting Engineers is the structural engineering firm.
It is expected that the entire development will bring in revenue of about $480 million in private investment for its construction and entail the creation of 1,200 construction jobs and 1,100 other permanent jobs, according to the mayor’s office.
- Empire Outlets New York City
- Goldman, Henry. "World’s Biggest Ferris Wheel Will Anchor Staten Island Complex". Bloomberg. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- Wheeler-dealer SI Ferris lawsuit
- Staten Island outlet mall planned near New York Wheel to include Nike, Adidas, Coach
- New York Wheel CEO says Staten Island neighborhood will be riding high
- More Parking, More Green Spaces Part Of Updated Plans For SI Ferris Wheel, Outlet Mall
- "The Associated Press: NYC to get 'world's largest' Ferris wheel". Google.com. Retrieved September 27, 2012.