Hey Mama (The Black Eyed Peas song)
|Single by The Black Eyed Peas|
|from the album Elephunk|
|Released||January 12, 2004|
|Recorded||March 7–8, 2003|
|Genre||Hip hop, dancehall|
|Length||3:35 (Album Version)
4:12 (Single Version)
3:45 (Radio Edit)
|Label||A&M, will.i.am, Interscope|
|Writer(s)||Will Adams, Anthony Henry|
|The Black Eyed Peas Singles chronology|
"Hey Mama" was released as the album's third single in 2004 and was a moderate hit. The single version of the song differs from the album version in that it cuts a verse from the end of the song and replaces it with an entirely new one performed by members Taboo and apl.de.ap (both who didn't perform on the original album version), changes some of the lyrics, and slightly alters the instrumentals.
The song was featured in the original television commercial for the iPod, and was also played in the movie Garfield : The Movie. "Hey Mama" has reached #3 in Switzerland, #4 in Australia, Austria and New Zealand. It has also reached #6 in the UK becoming their third top ten hit. "Hey Mama" also reached #9 in Canada and #23 in the US becoming another success for the group. The song was also featured in 2007 in Konami's Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 3 on the Xbox gaming system.
The song was used to promote the 2004 film Garfield: The Movie which stars Bill Murray in the titular role. In the film, Garfield has a dance off with Odie to this song. The song is also included on the film's soundtrack and was used in advertisements for the film.
The music video features 3 main locations, the first shown being a psychedelic limbo, where the BEP does breakdancing and the main verse of the song is sung. (Hey Mama, this that beat that make you move, mama). The color scheme is mostly yellow, red, brown and off-white. The second is the vertically-black-and-white striped canvas-room. A few parts are sung in here, but the main one is the one featuring Fergie. The third one is the club dance scene, which has lots of background characters dancing.
- CD single
- "Hey Mama"
- "Positivity" (Live From House of Blues, Chicago)
- "Release" (Live From House of Blues, Chicago)
- "Hey Mama" - The Video
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||4|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||6|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||25|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||14|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||5|
|Hungary (Single Top 20)||5|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||5|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||4|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||3|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||23|
|US Billboard Pop Songs||8|
- "Australian-charts.com – The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Danishcharts.com – The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama". Tracklisten.
- "Lescharts.com – The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama" (in French). Les classement single.
- "The Black Eyed Peas: Hey Mama" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 10 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 14, 2004" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Charts.org.nz – The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama". VG-lista.
- "The Black Eyed Peas – Hey Mama – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Black Eyed Peas" UK Singles Chart.
- Music video for "Hey Mama" on YouTube
- Hey Mama (lyrics , video)
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics