Holbrook, New York
|Holbrook, New York|
|• Total||7.2 sq mi (18.6 km2)|
|• Land||7.2 sq mi (18.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||118 ft (36 m)|
|• Density||3,800/sq mi (1,500/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0952975|
Holbrook is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 27,195 at the 2010 census. The median sale price for homes in Holbrook was $331,500 in 2012. In comparison, the median home price in the Northeast in 2012 was $232,900.
Holbrook is located at (40.799650, -73.075617).
Demographics of the CDP
As of the census of 2000, there were 27,512 people, 9,019 households, and 7,350 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 4,032.5 per square mile (1,557.5/km²). There were 9,157 housing units at an average density of 1,342.2/sq mi (518.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 89.1% White, 1.32% African American, 0.08% Native American, 2.87% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.69% from other races, and 1.05% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.9% of the population.
There were 9,019 households out of which 39.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.8% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.5% were non-families. 14.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.04 and the average family size was 3.38.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 25.7% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 32.5% from 25 to 44, 26.2% from 45 to 64, and 7.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 94.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $72,801, and the median income for a family was $76,349 (these figures had risen to $96,530 and $101,336 respectively as of a 2007 estimate). Males had a median income of $50,040 versus $33,651 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $26,863. About 2.5% of families and 3.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.6% of those under age 18 and 3.8% of those age 65 or over.
Holbrook is located in the towns of Islip and Brookhaven, divided by the Main Line of the Long Island Rail Road. The majority of Holbrook is located within the town of Islip and completely within the Sachem School District, which is independent of town borders.
Roads that pass through Holbrook include:
- I-495, or Long Island Expressway. Access from Exit 61.
- NY 454, known as Suffolk County Veterans' Memorial Highway
- NY 27, known as Sunrise POW/MIA Highway, forming the southern border of the CDP. Access from Exit 50 eastbound, exit 51 westbound.
- CR-19, known as Patchogue-Holbrook Road
- CR-18, known as Broadway Avenue (unsigned)
- CR-19A, known as Main Street (unsigned)
- CR-97, known as Nicolls Road, forming part of the eastern border of the CDP
- CR-16, known as Portion Road, forming the northern border of the CDP
- Lincoln Avenue, near the western border of the CDP
- Long Island MacArthur Airport is about 3 miles (5 km) from Holbrook.
Bus service in Holbrook is provided by Suffolk County Transit.
Fire and Ambulance
Fire and ambulance service is provided by the Holbrook Volunteer Fire Department, operating out of three stations. The Fire Department protects most of Holbrook, and parts of Holtsville, Bayport and Ronkonkoma. Headquarters (Lighting Engine Company, Jupiter Truck Company and Fire-Medic Company) is located at 390 Terry Boulevard. Station #1 (Sun-Vet Engine Company) is located at 1700 Church Street. Station #2 (Eagle Engine Company) is located at 355 Patchogue-Holbrook Road. The Fire District maintains a 24/7/365 paid dispatch and paramedic first responder service. Fire and Rescue services north of Railroad Avenue is provided by the Ronkonkoma Fire Department.
Police Services are provided by the Suffolk County Police Department. The 5th Precinct serves the area south of the Long Island Expressway, and the 6th Precinct serves north of the Long Island Expressway.
The closest hospital to Holbrook is Stony Brook University Hospital, about 7 miles (11 km) north of Holbrook.
Holbrook is within the Sachem School District.
The schools located in Holbrook are three of the twelve elementary schools: Grundy Elementary, Nokomis Elementary, and Merrimac Elementary, and one of the four middle schools: Seneca Middle School.
Holbrook residents attend either Sachem High School North or Sachem High School East, depending on which section of Holbrook they live in. Residents living in the north and west parts of the hamlet go to Sachem High School North in Lake Ronkonkoma, while those living in the south and east parts of the hamlet go to Sachem High School East in Farmingville.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Holbrook CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "Additional Statistics for Single Family Homes and Condos in Holbrook, NY". Holbrook Real Estate Market. RealEstate.com. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Real Estate Home Appreciation - Last 12 Months". Real Estate & Mortgage Resources. RealEstateABC.com. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.