Mastic, New York
|Mastic, New York|
|• Total||4.0 sq mi (10.3 km2)|
|• Land||3.9 sq mi (10.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||30 ft (9 m)|
|• Density||3,900/sq mi (1,500/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0970339|
Mastic is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 15,481 at the 2010 census. Mastic is in the southeastern part of the town of Brookhaven.
The hamlet was originally called Forge. The Long Island Rail Road built a station in 1882. In 1893, the name of the hamlet was changed to Mastic. On July 15, 1960, the stop was moved 7,010 feet (2,140 m) west and renamed Mastic–Shirley.
The Poospatuck Indian Reservation lies entirely within the community, near its southern end.
Mastic is located at . According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10.3 km2), of which 3.9 square miles (10.1 km2) is land and 0.08 square miles (0.2 km2), or 2.13%, is water.(40.802090, -72.843953)
Demographics of the CDP
As of the census of 2010, there were 15,481 people, 4,526 households, and 3,743 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 3,969.5 per square mile (1,532.8/km²). There were 4,847 housing units at an average density of 1,242.8/sq mi (479.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 46.1% White, 22.4% African American, 0.7% Native American, 2.1% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 7.2% some other race, and 4.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 21.8% of the population.
There were 4,526 households, out of which 48.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.7% were headed by married couples living together, 18.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.3% were non-families. 12.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.3% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.41, and the average family size was 3.63.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.3% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 26.1% from 45 to 64, and 6.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33.1 years. For every 100 females there were 100.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.7 males.
For the period 2007-2011, the median annual income for a household in the CDP was $70,979, and the median income for a family was $79,839. Males had a median income of $51,315 versus $40,581 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $26,176. About 18% of families and 22% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.6% of those under age 18 and 6.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mastic CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- Manor Park Civic Association
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Mastic CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2013-01-03.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2007-2011 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates (DP03): Mastic CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2013-01-03.