Hugo F. Sonnenschein
Hugo Freund Sonnenschein (born November 14, 1940, New York) is a prominent American economist and educational administrator. Currently the Adam Smith Distinguished Service Professor in Economics at the University of Chicago, his specialty is microeconomic theory, with a particular interest in game theory. He served as the 11th president of the University of Chicago (1993–2000), and remains a member of the university's Board of Trustees. Previously, he served as Provost of Princeton University and Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania. Sonnenschein attended the University of Rochester for his undergraduate studies from 1957–1961, and received his Ph.D. in Economics from Purdue University in 1964. He is known for the Sonnenschein–Mantel–Debreu theorem, and more generally for his work on Walrasian general equilibrium theory.
During his tenure as president of the University of Chicago, the faculty made significant changes to the curriculum, including a reduction to the required number of "Core" courses in the College. This move was met with much controversy.
- "History of the Office". The University of Chicago News Office. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- "Hugo Sonnenschein (1993-2000)". University of Chicago. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- "Hugo F. Sonnenschein Biographical Sketch". University of Chicago. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- "HUGO F. SONNENSCHEIN CV". University of Chicago. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- Rizvi, S. Abu Turab (2006). "The Sonnenschein-Mantel-Debreu Results after Thirty Years". History of Political Economy (Duke University Press) 38. doi:10.1215/00182702-2005-024.
- Sonnenschein, Hugo (1973). "Do Walras' Identity and Continuity Characterize the Class of Community Excess Demand Functions?". Journal of Economic Theory (Elsevier) 6. doi:10.1016/0022-0531(73)90066-5.
- Menashi, Steven (January 13, 1999). "Doing it the Chicago Way". The Dartmouth Review. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- Meyer, Meredith (October 31, 2004). "Gradual changes define the University". Chicago Maroon. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- "IT'S 'PROFESSOR SONNENSCHEIN' AGAIN". Rochester Review. University of Rochester. Fall 2000. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
Hanna Holborn Gray
|President of the University of Chicago
Don Michael Randel