|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||2.15 Core Update 82 / 11 September 2014|
|Available in||multilingual (i.e. English and German)|
|Kernel type||Monolithic Kernel|
|Default user interface||Web user interface|
|License||Free software (GPL)|
IPFire is a free Linux distribution which acts as a router and firewall in the first instance. It can be maintained via a web interface. The distribution furthermore offers selected server-daemons and can easily be expanded to a SOHO-server.
The modular design enables the user to create a tailor-made system fitting their needs. This can either be a very small system, which can be run on old hardware like a first-generation Intel Pentium, or a SOHO-System with an up-to-date multiprocessor.
The required computer performance therefore depends on the scope of application.
IPFire caters to users not overly familiar with networking and server services. IPFire ships with an extensive package management utility (Pakfire) which allows the base system to be extended by various addons. The package manager also enables updates to address security issues.
The base system provides following features:
- Proxy server with content filter and caching-functionality for updates (i.e. Microsoft Windows Updates and Anti-Virus)
- Intrusion detection system (Snort) with intrusion prevention-addon "guardian"
- VPN via IPsec and OpenVPN
- Time server
- Wake-on-LAN (WOL)
- Dynamic DNS
- Quality of Service
- Outgoing firewall
- System monitoring and Log-Analysis
IPFire offers add-ons which are maintained by the development team.
Some available Addons:
- File- and Print server (Samba and CUPS, vsftpd)
- Asterisk and Teamspeak
- Video Disk Recorder (VDR)
- Mail server - Postfix, SpamAssassin, ClamAV, Amavis (amavisd-new)
- Streaming server (MPD a.o.)
- IPFire is part of the c't-Debian-server version 4, which was released in August 2009.
- official website
- IPFire at Distrowatch
- IPFire at ohloh.net
- IPFire at the CeBIT 2010 in Hannover
- IPFire on The-H online
- IPFire on LWN.net
- IPFire Video on Bóson Treinamentos - In Portuguese
- "IPFire wiki page about Hardware". ipfire.org. Retrieved 2010-12-22.