I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
|I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got|
|Studio album by Sinéad O'Connor|
|Genre||Alternative rock, pop rock|
|Sinéad O'Connor chronology|
|Singles from I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got|
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got is the second album by Sinéad O'Connor. It was released in March 1990 on Ensign/Chrysalis Records.
The critically acclaimed album contains her most famous single, "Nothing Compares 2 U", and was one of the best selling records in the world in 1990, topping the charts in many countries, including the US, UK, and Canada. It had a few different lyrics than Prince's original. This rendition reflected on O'Connor's mother who lost her life in an auto accident five years earlier. The single "Emperor's New Clothes" found more moderate success, although it did top the Modern Rock Tracks chart in the US.
The album includes O'Connor's rendition of "I Am Stretched on Your Grave", an anonymous 17th century poem, originally written in Irish and translated into English by Frank O'Connor. The first song, "Feels So Different", starts with The Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr.
|Pitchfork Media||(7.8/10) |
The album sold 7 million copies worldwide.
In 2009, the release of a deluxe anniversary edition of the album was announced, with an extra CD of unreleased tracks, B-sides and hard-to-find mixes.
In 2002, the song Black Boys On Mopeds was covered by Chevelle on their second album Wonder What's Next as a bonus track.
|I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got – Standard version|
|1.||"Feel So Different"||Sinéad O'Connor||6:47|
|2.||"I Am Stretched on Your Grave"||
|4.||"The Emperor's New Clothes"||O'Connor||5:16|
|5.||"Black Boys on Mopeds"||O'Connor||3:53|
|6.||"Nothing Compares 2 U"||Prince||5:10|
|7.||"Jump in the River"||
|8.||"You Cause as Much Sorrow"||O'Connor||5:04|
|9.||"The Last Day of Our Acquaintance"||O'Connor||4:40|
|10.||"I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got"||O'Connor||5:47|
|I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got – 2009 reissue (bonus disc)|
|2.||"My Special Child"||O'Connor||4:48|
|3.||"Damn Your Eyes"||
|4.||"Silent Night" (long version)||Traditional||4:45|
|5.||"You Do Something to Me"||Cole Porter||3:53|
|6.||"Mind Games"||John Lennon||5:26|
|7.||"What Do You Want"||O'Connor||2:58|
|8.||"I Am Stretched on Your Grave" (Apple Brightness Mix)||O'Connor||5:38|
|9.||"Troy" (recorded live in London)||O'Connor||6:41|
|10.||"I Want Your (Hands on Me)" (live at Hammersmith Odeon)||
Credits and personnel
- Sinéad O'Connor: vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, keyboards, percussion, drum programming, arranger, producer, string arrangements
- Nellee Hooper: producer
- Chris Birkett, Sean Devitt: producers, engineers
- Marco Pirroni: electric guitar
- David Munday: acoustic guitar, piano
- Andy Rourke: acoustic guitar, bass
- Jah Wobble: bass
- John Reynolds: drums
- Steve Wickham: fiddle
- Philip King: vocals, melody arrangement
- Nick Ingman: conductor, orchestra director, string arrangements
- Karl Wallinger: arranger
- Dave Hoffman, Dominique Leringoleur: photography
- John Maybury: cover design
|UK Albums Chart||March 1990||1||2× Platinum||600,000|
|U.S. Billboard 200||28 April 1990||1||2× Platinum||2,000,000|
|Switzerland||25 March 1990||1|
|Austria||25 March 1990||1|
|Canada||21 April 1990||1||5× Platinum||500,000|
- Allmusic Review
- Sandow, Greg (1990-03-16). "I Do not Want What I Haven't Got Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- Richardson, Mark (2009-04-24). "Sinéad O'Connor: I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got (Limited Edition)". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- "Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got CD Album". CD Universe. Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: Sinéad O'Connor". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- Mikal Gilmore (1997-01-22). "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- Sal Cinquemani (2003-10-03). "Sinéad O'Connor: I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- CBSnews.com "Sinead Sings And Speaks Her Mind" Accessed: 3 December 2006
- "#406 I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time" 1 November 2003. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- EveryHit.co.uk UK Top 40 database Accessed: 3 December 2006
- Billboard.com Sinead O'Connor album chart history Accessed: 3 December 2006
- SwissCharts.com I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got page Accessed: 3 December 2006
- AustrianCharts.at I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got page Accessed: 3 December 2006