|Original author(s)||Alexey Kuznetsov|
|Stable release||3.17.2 (30 October 2014[±])|
|License||GNU General Public License v2|
iproute2 is a collection of user-space utilities used to communicate with various Linux kernel components over the netlink protocol. More specifically, the iproute2 utilities are used for controlling TCP and UDP IP networking and traffic control in the Linux kernel, in both IPv4 and IPv6 networks, as well as for configuring the device drivers for network interface controllers (NICs) and wireless network interface controllers (WNICs).
As of December 2013[update], iproute2 is maintained by Stephen Hemminger. The original author, Alexey Kuznetsov, was responsible for the Quality of Service (QoS) implementation in the Linux kernel.
iproute2 collection contains the following command-line utilities: ip, ss, bridge, rtacct, rtmon, tc, ctstat, lnstat, nstat, routef, routel, rtstat and arpd. tc is used for traffic control. Utilities in iproute2 are developed in parallel to the Linux kernel.
iproute2 is intended to replace an entire suite of standard Unix networking tools (often called "net-tools") that were previously used for the tasks of configuring network interfaces, routing tables, and managing the ARP table.
|Address and link configuration||ifconfig||ip addr, ip link|
|Routing tables||route||ip route|
iproute2 unifies the syntax for these various commands, which evolved over many years of Unix development.
- Kroah-Hartman, Greg (October 30 2014). "Linux 3.17.2". linux-kernel-mailing-list mailing list. https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/10/30/585.
- "Introduction to iproute2". The Linux Foundation. 2009-11-19. Retrieved 2014-06-30.
- "list of the Debian package iproute2". Debian.
- Martín Ferrari (2009-03-15). "net-tools future". debian.org. Retrieved 2014-06-30.
- Official website
- Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control HOWTO - A tutorial in exploring and using iproute2.
- IPROUTE2 Utility Suite Documentation - Complete official documentation.
- iproute2+tc notes - A collection of documents relating to iproute2 configuration and usage.
- Source code download directory
- git source code
- Advanced tc and iproute2 tutorial for bandwidth restriction
- Advanced iproute2 tutorial for split route / multiple uplinks
|This Linux-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|