|Full name||Jamie Robert Caven|
10 March 1976 |
|Playing darts since||1993|
|Darts||23g Unicorn Jamie Caven|
|Walk-on music||Tom Hark by The Piranhas|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|Current world ranking||22|
|PDC premier events - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 32: 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015|
|World Matchplay||Last 16: 2013|
|World Grand Prix||Last 32: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013|
|Ch'ship League||Semi-finals: 2012|
|Desert Classic||Last 32: 2009|
|European Ch'ship||Quarter-finals: 2010, 2013|
|UK Open||Quarter-finals: 2009, 2012|
|US Open/WSoD||Last 16: 2009|
|Players Ch'ship Finals||Quarter-finals: 2014|
|Other tournament wins|
UK Open Regionals/Qualifiers
Jamie Robert Caven (born 10 March 1976 in Leicester) is an English professional darts player. He has won seven events on the PDC Pro Tour, including two in the same weekend in May 2013. Caven was also the World Youth Masters champion in 1993.
Caven has no sight in his right eye, after being stung by a bee when he was 18 months old. At the age of 17, Caven won the World Youth Masters. When he was 20, tumours were found in his pancreas resulting in its removal and his requirement to have four insulin injections a day for the rest of his life. This is where his darts nickname Jabba originated.
Caven qualified for the 2008 World Championship at Alexandra Palace, and defeated Wes Newton in the first round 3–0, before playing Wayne Mardle in the second round, taking the first set before losing 4–1.
Caven won his first PDC title, by edging Alan Tabern in a final leg decider to win the UK Open Welsh Regional in Newport in May 2009. A month later he reached his first PDC major quarter-final at the UK Open, where he lost 10–3 to Colin Osborne.
Caven was seeded 18 for the 2012 World Championship but lost to Roland Scholten 1–3 in the first round. Caven trailed Joe Cullen 0–4 and 1–5 in the last 16 of the UK Open, but produced a superb comeback, concluding with a 160 finish in the deciding leg to take the match 9–8. He played Denis Ovens in the quarter-finals and lost 6–10. Caven qualified from Group 7 of the Championship League with a 6–4 victory against Paul Nicholson. He finished 2nd in the Winners Group, having won five of his seven league matches, but then lost to Simon Whitlock 4–6 in the semi-finals, having led 4–3. After all 33 ProTour events of 2012 had been played, Caven was 31st on the Order of Merit, just inside the top 32 who qualified for the Players Championship Finals. He lost to Whitlock 3–6 in the first round.
Caven let a 2–1 set lead slip in the first round of the 2013 World Championship as he lost 2–3 to qualifier John Bowles. He reached the final of the fourth UK Open Qualifier in March, but lost to Robert Thornton 4–6 having defeated Gary Anderson 6–2 in the semi-finals. Caven won his first title for over two years in May at the third Players Championship, winning seven matches on the day concluding with a 6–4 victory over Paul Nicholson in the final. His form continued into the fourth event a day later as he won it by beating Jelle Klaasen 6–4 in the final with an incredible average of 110.68. An unlucky draw at the UK Open saw him face James Wade in the third round and he lost 7–9. At the European Championship, Caven beat Dave Chisnall 6–0 and Wade 10–2 to breeze into the quarter-finals. He played Simon Whitlock and led 9–3 only to suffer a huge comeback from the Australian as Caven lost seven legs in a row to be beaten 10–9. Caven fought back from 5–2 and 7–4 down to Wes Newton in the first round of the World Matchplay to win 10–8. He almost produced another turn around in his next game against Chisnall as he led 10–7 from being 6–2 down having twice set up the possibility of a nine darter by hitting back to back maximums. However, Caven then lost six legs in a row to exit the tournament. In October, he reached the final of the 11th Players Championship but was edged out 6–5 by Robert Thornton. He lost 9–4 to Justin Pipe in the second round of the Players Championship Finals having beaten Colin Lloyd 6–3 in the opener.
Caven beat Jelle Klaasen 3–1 in the first round of the 2014 World Championship to set up a meeting with Raymond van Barneveld. Caven took the first set in a deciding leg by hitting a 136 finish with Van Barneveld waiting on 20 and then missed one dart to take a 2–0 lead, instead going on to trail 2–1. Caven won two successive sets to regain the advantage but could only win one more leg after this in a 4–3 defeat. He was the victim of a shock 5–3 defeat against Kevin Dowling in the second round of the UK Open. In May, he advanced to the semi-finals of an event for the first time in a year at the ninth Players Championship where he lost 6–2 against Peter Wright. Caven beat Terry Jenkins, Stephen Bunting, Phil Taylor and Wright all by 6–5 scorelines at the Austrian Darts Open to reach the final. He built a 5–2 lead over Vincent van der Voort, but went on to lose 6–5 without ever having a dart for the title. Caven was knocked out of the first round in the World Matchplay and World Grand Prix and the second round of the European Championship. He won a place in the Grand Slam of Darts through the qualifier but lost each of his group games to finish bottom of the table. Caven saw off Ian White 6–4 at the Players Championship Finals and was almost the victim of a huge fightback from Robert Thornton as he forced a deciding leg after having been 9–4 behind. However, he survived one match dart to win 10–9 and reach his only major quarter-final of the year where he faced Adrian Lewis. Caven missed a dart for the match at the bull to complete a 167 finish to win 10–8 and was instead eliminated 10–9.
Caven lost 4–3 in the second round of the 2015 World Championship to Raymond van Barneveld for the second year in a row. There was never more than a set between the players, with Caven having the higher average, checkout percentage and winning more legs (15 to 14).
He married Debbie on 15 August 2009 and together they have 4 children (2 daughters and 2 sons).
World Championship results
- 2008: Second round (lost to Wayne Mardle 1–4)
- 2009: First round (lost to Mark Walsh 2–3)
- 2010: First round (lost to Gary Anderson 2–3)
- 2011: Second round (lost to Colin Osborne 0–4)
- 2012: First round (lost to Roland Scholten 1–3)
- 2013: First round (lost to John Bowles 2–3)
- 2014: Second round (lost to Raymond van Barneveld 3–4)
- 2015: Second round (lost to Raymond van Barneveld 3–4)
- "Playing a blinder". Sky Sports. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Jamie Caven Profile". Unicorn Darts. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "2008 PDC World Championship Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Top darts player Caven will be at social club". Matlock Mercury. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "2009 UK Open Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "2010 PDC World Championship Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "World Championship - Night One". PDC. 15 December 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "Speedy Services UK Open RD5". PDC. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "2012 UK Open Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "2012 Championship of Darts Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Taylor Retains CLD Title In Style". PDC. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Minehead Qualifiers Confirmed". PDC. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "Cash Converters PCF Day One". PDC. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "Ladbrokes WDC Day Four". PDC. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Thorn Strikes For Qualifier Four Win". PDC. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Brilliant Caven Triumphs In Wigan". PDC. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "Brilliant Double For Caven". PDC. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "Speedy Services UK Open - Friday". PDC. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "2013 European Championship Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "partypoker.net Euro Champs QFs". PDC. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "BetVictor World Matchplay Night Three". PDC. 19 October 2013. Retrieved 23 July 2013.
- "BetVictor World Matchplay Night Five". PDC. 19 October 2013.
- "Thornton Triumphs In Killarney". PDC. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "2013 Players Championship Finals Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Ladbrokes World Championship Day Three". PDC. 15 December 2013.
- "Ladbrokes World Championship Day Eight". PDC. 21 December 2013.
- "Coral UK Open - Friday Afternoon". PDC. 7 March 2014.
- "Wright wins in Crawley". PDC. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "Gutsy van der Voort's Austrian Joy". PDC. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Jamie Caven 2014". Darts Database. Archived from the original on 7 December 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "2014 Grand Slam Of Darts Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Cash Converters PCF Day Two". PDC. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- "Super Anderson's Minehead Glory". PDC. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "William Hill World Championship Day Nine". PDC. Retrieved 29 December 2014.