|Full name||Jeffrey Nana Darko Sarpong|
|Date of birth||3 August 1988|
|Place of birth||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder|
|2010||→ NEC (loan)||15||(0)|
|2012||→ NAC Breda (loan)||11||(1)|
|2012–2013||→ Hércules (loan)||13||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 1 June 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Jeffrey Nana Darko Sarpong (// sar-PONG-G) (born 3 August 1988 in Amsterdam) is a Ghanaian footballer, who currently plays for NAC Breda in the Dutch Eredivisie. He holds both a Ghanaian passport and a Dutch passport.
Sarpong joined AFC Ajax when he was just seven years of age, and signed his first contract in 2005. At the time Chelsea were interested in signing the player, but he decided to stay with Ajax.
He made his Dutch League debut on 5 February 2006 in the 3–2 away defeat against Feyenoord. Sarpong played in eight more league matches during the season. In addition he and his team won the KNVB Cup, but in the 2006–07 season he did not play a single league match. In July 2007, Sarpong would extend his contract, that will keep him until 2011. However, the following season he became first team regular under new coach Marco van Basten netting his first goal in a 2–2 away draw against no other than Feyenoord. A week later, on 2 October 2008, he scored again, in the first round of UEFA Cup; second leg, against Borac Čačak.
The 2009/10 season was difficult for Sarpong to gain back his valuable first team experience by being placed on a loan list. Having yet make his first league appearance for Ajax this season, Sarpong says he's very "eager" and "desperate" to make a return in the first team.
On 31 December 2009, Ajax loaned the 21-year-old Dutch youth international to NEC until the end of the 2009–10 season. He made his debut for the club, in a 2–1 win over Vitesse. In the quarter final of KNVB Beker, against his former club, Sarpong provided assist for the second goal for the club in a match, but was sent-off after a second bookable offense, as NEC lose 3–2. Two months later, on 19 March 2010, He was sent-off again in the last minutes, as NEC heavily lose 4–1 against Heerenveen. Having made an impressive start at NEC, Sarpong hints he might earned a spot in the World Cup. At the end of the 2009/10 season, it announced that the club have decided against to sign Sarpong on a permanent basis. He made sixteen appearance in all competitions.
On 2 August 2010, it emerged that the La Liga side Real Sociedad were interested in Jeffrey. But no official bid was made until the 15th. On the 21st it was rumoured he was in San Sebastián and on the following day Real Sociedad confirmed the signing of Jeffrey Sarpong for an undisclosed fee. Sarpong was given the number 14 shirt.
After his debut was delayed over injuries and problem, Sarpong finally his debut on 3 October 2010 in a 1–0 home victory to Espanyol and the next game, on 17 October 2010, Sarpong scored his first goal in a 2–1 loss against Levante. A week later, on 28 October 2010, Sarpong scored again, in the fourth round of Copa Del Ray; first round, in a 3–2 loss against Almería. He soon went on the sidelined after sustaining a dislocated shoulder during a training-ground clash, which left him out for a months. But made his return on 6 November 2010, in a 1–0 win over Racing Santander. Despite a promising start at the club, Sarpong had a disappointing season, having made 18 appearance. The next season, even his first team became increasingly limited, under manager Philippe Montanier and made only three appearance.
On the last day of the winter transfer window, Sarpong would joined NAC Breda on loan for the rest of the season. On 11 February 2012, He made his debut for the club, coming on as a substitute for Ömer Bayram, in a 2–0 loss against his former club, Ajax. On 28 April 2012, Sarpong scored his first goal for the club, in a 3–1 win over Utercht.
On 30 August 2012, it announced that Sarpong joined Segunda División side Hércules for the rest of the season. He made his debut for the club, on 2 September 2012, in a 1–0 loss against Alcorcón after coming on as a substitute in the 80th minutes. After five months at the club, Sarpong left the club, following his release from Real Sociedad.
Return to NAC Breda
After joining Premier League side Stoke City and English Championship club Sheffield Wednesday in January, it announced on 9 April that Sarpong has rejoined NAC Breda on a three-year deal with the club, starting next season.
Sarpong represented the Netherlands in the 2005 FIFA U-17 World Championship in Peru, where the team finished third. On 24 June 2009, the young midfielder swapped representing the Netherlands internationally for The Black Stars of Ghana. He maintain his desire to play for The Black Stars ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations.
|Spain||League||Copa del Rey||Europe||Total|
|2010–11||Real Sociedad||La Liga||19||1||1||1||0||0||20||2|
|Spain||League||Copa del Rey||Europe||Total|
|2012–13||Real Sociedad||La Liga||0||0||0||0||-||-||0||0|
|2012–13||Hércules Alicante||Segunda División||13||1||0||0||-||-||13||1|
He is born to a Nigerian mother, Josephine Sarpong, and a Ghanaian father, George Sarpong. He has four sisters and one brother. His idol is Kaká and he would love to play alongside the Brazilian some day. He becomes the second Junior Dutch International to swap The Netherlands for Ghana after Quincy Owusu-Abeyie turned out for Holland at the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship. It announced on 29 May 2012, Sarpong was married on 24 May 2012.
- "Jeffrey Sarpong". Player History. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- Vol Beloften: Jeffrey Sarpong, Ajax.nl
- Kids aren't alright for Chelsea
- "Chelsea fail with Ajax raid". Sky Sports. 27 October 2005. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Ajax hand Colin trial". Sky Sports. 2 July 2007. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Ajax Make Jeffrey Sarpong Available For Loan". Goal.com. 5 August 2009. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Ajax Youngster Jeffrey Sarpong Eager To Break into First Team Again". Goal.com. 10 November 2009. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Sarpong op huurbasis naar NEC
- "World Cup 2010: Ajax Starlet Jeffrey Sarpong Targets Spot in Ghana Squad". Goal.com. 24 March 2010. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Jeffrey Sarpong back to Ajax" [Jeffrey Sarpong terug naar Ajax] (in Dutch). De GelderLander. 13 May 2010. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Real Sociedad Keen on Ajax Starlet Jeffrey Sarpong – Report". Goal.com. 2 August 2010. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- La Real Sociedad incorpora a Jeffrey Sarpong, del Ajax (in Spanish). Marca.com. 22 August 2010.
- "Injuries open the door of title to Sarpong" [Las lesiones abren la puerta de la titularidad a Sarpong] (in Spanish). Marca. 11 October 2010. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Sarpong scored for Real Sociedad" [Sarpong trefzeker voor Real Sociedad] (in Dutch). AD.nl. 17 October 2010. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Real Sociedad's Jeffrey Sarpong Dislocates Shoulder in Training". Goal.com. 3 November 2010. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Jeffrey Sarpong leaves Real Sociedad". Ghana Soccernet. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "The Dutch Sarpong leaves the Royal Society" [El holandés Sarpong abandona la Real Sociedad] (in Spanish). Marca.com. 7 January 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Breda bring in Sarpong on loan". Sky Sport. 1 February 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Heerenveen joins the race for the title" [El Heerenveen se suma a la carrera por el título] (in Spanish). Marca.com. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Former Ajax player Sarpong on loan to Hercules" [Oud-Ajacied Sarpong op huurbasis naar Hércules] (in Dutch). AD.NL. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Pamarot reaches agreement to play in the Hercules" [Pamarot alcanza un acuerdo para jugar en el Hércules] (in Spanish). Marca. 7 January 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Sarpong on trials at Stoke". Ghana Soccernet. 12 January 2013.
- "JEFFREY SARPONG LEAVES STOKE FOR SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY TESTS". Tribal Football. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "NAC free Sarpong explains the club for three seasons fixed" [NAC legt de clubloze Sarpong voor drie seizoenen vast] (in Dutch). Voetbal International. 9 April 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Ghanaian FA Approach Ajax Midfielder Jeffrey Sarpong". Goal.com. 7 July 2009. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Real Sociedad loanee Jeffrey Sarpong reveals Ghana dream ahead of 2013 Afcon". Goal.com. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- "Jeffrey Sarpong Statistics". Soccerway. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "Jeffrey Sarpong Statistics". Voetbal International. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "JEFFREY SARPONG MARRIES SWEET HEART STACEY". SOCCER IN GHANA. 29 May 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Voetbal International profile (Dutch)
- Real Sociedad official profile (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- Transfermarkt profile