Training and career
Rozsa studied architecture, painting, and communications at Manchester University, and communications at Polytechnic of Central London. Afterwards, he interned at Vogue under Grace Coddington. He later ran a vintage shop called Nostalgia in Covent Garden, where he met fashion editors, models, actors, and photographers on a daily basis.
In the mid-1970s Rozsa began his photography career, working in Nairobi, Geneva, England, and the U.S. By 1978, he had a series of four full-page celebrity portraits in Ritz, with accompanying interviews.
Rozsa has been photographing celebrities such as Hugh Grant, Halle Berry, Janet Jackson, Nicolas Cage, John Malkovich, and Natasha Richardson since the late 1970s. His photographs have appeared in numerous publications, including Vogue, the Sunday Times, i-D, Maxim, The Face, The New York Times, Newsweek, New York Magazine, and People. His portraits of Ian Charleson, Sade, Marilyn, and Martin Degville are part of the permanent collection at the National Portrait Gallery in London. His photographs of Leigh Bowery have been exhibited in several museums, including the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney, the Kunsthalle in Vienna, and the Kunstverein in Hanover. Rozsa has also exhibited at the Venice Biennale.
In 2010 Rozsa published a book, Untouched, featuring unretouched photos of 115 now world-famous celebrities, from their days before airbrushing, PhotoShop, digital cameras and enhancements, cosmetic surgery, and perfect images. The book has a foreword by Susan Sarandon, and launched at Barneys in New York City.
- Rozsa, Johnny. Untouched. Glitterati, 2010.
- Franks, Lynne. Absolutely Now!: A Futurist's Journey to Her Inner Truth. London: Century, 1997. p. 69.
- Davies, Lucy. "Johnny Rozsa Photographs: Big Hair, Small Egos." The Telegraph. 22 September 2010.
- Rozsa, Johnny. Untouched. Glitterati, 2010. p. 12.
- Johnny Rozsa on Facebook
- The British Journal of Photography. Vol. 127 (1980). p. 6.
- McMahon, Milly and Sarah Raphael. "Johnny Rozsa 'Untouched'". i-D Online. 21 September 2010.
- Miss Rosen. "Untouched: Interview with Author Johnny Rozsa", lipsticktracez.com. July 27, 2009.
- Pepper, Terence. Twenty for Today: New Portrait Photography. National Portrait Gallery, 1986.
- Rozsa, Johnny. Untouched. Glitterati, September 2010. (publisher's synopsis)
- National Portrait Gallery
- Johnny Rozsa – Untouched at Christopher Henry Gallery, New York
- "Barneys New York Announces Fashion's Night Out Details." Forbes.com. September 2, 2010.
- Kaufman, Hayley Elisabeth. "Sneak Peak! Pre-Fame Pics of Halle, Winona, and Tilda in New Book Untouched." Refinery29.com. June 19, 2009.
- Rozsa, Johnny. Untouched. Glitterati, 2010. p. 169.
- Glitterati Incorporated: Authors