Jungle girl (stock character)
A jungle girl (so-called, usually an adult woman) is an archetype or stock character, often used in popular fiction, of a female adventurer, superhero or even a damsel in distress living in a jungle or rainforest setting.
The jungle girl is generally depicted as wearing a scantily clad animal print (usually leopard) bikini and also barefoot. They could also possibly be feral children or come from a wealthy, educated family. They are the female counterpart of Tarzanesque characters. They are usually depicted in either one of 2 ways, as a tough heroine or as a bound and gagged damsel in distress.
The first such character was Rima from the 1904 novel Green Mansions. One popular character, adapted into various media, is Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, who, though created by American writer-artists Will Eisner and Jerry Iger, made her debut in the British magazine Wags #1 (1937). Sheena went on to star in the American comic book anthology series Jumbo Comics the following year.
List of jungle girl characters
- Algona, played by Deborah Sills in Trader Hornee (1970), an adult sex comedy film.
- Ann Mason (Fiction House's Jungle Comics)
- Ayla from Japanese video game Chrono Trigger (released 1995)
- Camilla, Wild Girl of the Congo (Fiction House's Jungle Comics, 1940s)
- Cave Girl (comics), Magazine Enterprises' Africa, Thun'da, and Cave Girl (1950s)
- Cavegirl (UK/South African TV series, 2002-2003), film version slated for 2014 release.
- Cavewoman Meriem Cooper (Basement Comics, 1993-2006)
- Christa (Shannon Day) from Land of the Lost TV series (1991-1992)
- Dorothy Lamour, Jungle Princess (1950 Fox Features comic, based on Hollywood actress who starred in 1936 movie of similar title.)
- Dhalua Strong and, in a more satirical manner, her daughter Tesla (America's Best Comics)
- Eba from the 1985 comedy Cavegirl (film) played by Cynthia Thompson.
- Eva from Kong Island
- Eve, aka The Face of Eve (1968), British film starring Celeste Yarnall as Eve.
- Fana The Jungle Girl (Incarna Comics, 1989)
- Fantomah, Mystery Woman of the Jungle (Fiction House's Jungle Comics, 1940s)
- Girl, played by Vitina Marcus in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. episode "The My Friend the Gorilla Affair" (1966), a Tarzan parody.
- The Girl, played by Rochelle Hudson in the film The Savage Girl (1932).
- Gungala, the Black Panther Girl (1968), Italian sexploitation film starring Kitty Swan.
- Inara, the Jungle Girl (2012) film.
- Inyaah, Jungle Goddess (1934) film.
- Irish of the Jungle (1990s comic book based on Irish McCalla, TV's "Sheena")
- Jana of the Jungle (cartoon series, 1978)
- Jane Porter (Tarzan) (numerous novels and films)
- Jann of the Jungle (Marvel Comics, 1950s)
- Jano, companion to Voodah (Crown Comics, 1947), later revived by AC Comics
- Jean Evans (Panther Girl of the Kongo, 1955), Republic serial update of Jungle Girl
- Jelita, played by Lydia Kandou in the Indonesian film Jungle Virgin Force, aka Perawan Rimba (1983).
- Jennifer of the Jungle (The Electric Company television program)
- Jill of the Jungle (computer game released in 1992)
- Judy of the Jungle (Better/Nedor Comics' Exciting Comics, 1940s)
- Jun-Gal (1940s comic)
- Jungle Girl, aka Jana Sky-Born (2007) (Dynamite Entertainment comic)
- Jungle Grrrl (Erica Porter), wrestler persona created in 2000 for Women of Wrestling.
- Jungle Janet (The Tick, 1990s animated series based on the comic)
- Jungle Lil (1950s comic)
- Jungle Queen/Julie Winters (comic/TV series The Maxx)
- Kara Jungle Princess (1940s comic)
- Kazanda (1940s comic)
- Kuhlaya, played by Ann Corio in the film Jungle Siren (1942)
- Lana, Queen of the Amazons (1964), German film with Catherine Schell as Lana.
- Leda, played by Valerie Leon in British film Carry On Up the Jungle (1970).
- Leela, companion of the 4th Doctor on the Doctor Who TV series played by Louise Jameson (1977-1978).
- Leopard Girl (Atlas Comics' Jungle Action, 1950s comic)
- Liane from Liane, Jungle Goddess (1956), German film.
- Lothel, played by Ruth Roman in the film serial Jungle Queen (1945).
- Lorna, the Jungle Queen/Lorna, the Jungle Girl (comic book, Atlas Comics, 1953)
- Luana the Jungle Girl aka Luana, the Girl Tarzan (1968), Italian-German film with Mei Chen as Luana.
- Marga the Panther Woman (1940s comic)
- Meelah, played by Gale Sherwood in the film Blonde Savage (1947)
- Meriem, wife of Korak (from the novel The Son of Tarzan)
- Miss Robin Crusoe (1954 movie, played by Amanda Blake)
- Nyoka (Fawcett's Jungle Girl/Nyoka the Jungle Girl and Master Comics), and the main character in the 1941 movie serial Jungle Girl.
- Pamela of the Jungle (Italian comic, 2007)
- Pantera Bionda, an Italian character published in 1948-1950 before being closed for the intervention of Italian Catholic censorship
- Princess Pantha (Better/Nedor Comics' Thrilling Comics, 1940s)
- Princess Rosella in the animated film Barbie as the Island Princess (2007)
- Ranee, Princess of the Jungle (1950s comic)
- Rarotonga, (Mexican comic series by Lágrimas, Risas y Amor)
- Rima, the Jungle Girl, featured in 1970s DC Comics publications
- Rulah, Jungle Goddess (Fox Comics' Zoot Comics and Rulah, Jungle Goddess)
- Saari, the Jungle Goddess (1950s comic)
- Safari Cary (1940s comic)
- Samantha from The Mighty Peking Man (1977), Hong Kong remake of King Kong film.
- San, from Japanese animated film Princess Mononoke (1997)
- Shanna the She-Devil (Marvel Comics, created 1972)
- Sheela, aka Africadalli Sheela (1986), Indian variation on Sheena film.
- Sheena, Queen of the Jungle (comic book, launched in 1937)
- Sheena (1984) film based on the comic starring Tanya Roberts.
- Shirl, The Jungle Girl (1950s parody comic)
- Taanda of White Princess of the Jungle (comic by Avon Periodicals, 1951-1952)
- Tangi (1940s comic)
- Tara Fremont (AC Comics' Femforce)
- Taranga (1950s comic)
- Tarzana, the Wild Girl (1969), Italian sexploitation film with Femi Benussi as a female Tarzan character.
- Tarzeena: Jiggle in the Jungle, aka Tarzeena: Queen of Kong Island (2008), adult parody film by Fred Olen Ray.
- Tiger Girl (Fiction House Fight Comics and a different Tiger Girl from Gold Key Comics)
- The Tiger Woman (1944), Republic Pictures serial starring Linda Sterling.
- Nina Trent, The White Goddess played by Edwina Booth in the film Trader Horn (1931).
- Tygra of the Flame People (Better/Nedor's Startling Comics, 1940s; no relation to the ThunderCats character)
- Ulah, played by Dorothy Lamour in the film The Jungle Princess (1936)
- Ursula (George of the Jungle, 1967 cartoon series by Jay Ward)
- Greta Vanderhorn, played by Wanda McKay in the film Jungle Goddess (1948)
- Veronica Layton played by Jennifer O'Dell in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World (TV series, 1999-2002).
- Vooda, Jungle Princess, originally El'nee (Ajax-Farrell comic) #20-22 (1955)
- Zara of the Jungle (1940s comic)
- Zegra, Jungle Empress (originally Tegra) (Fox Comics)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jungle girls.|