|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||1:1 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Tenkasi|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Srivilliputtur|
|Climate||Apr-May - Min 20 Deg C Max 42 Deg C and May - Mar - Min 20 Deg C Max 30 deg C (Köppen)|
Kansapuram (Tamil:கான்சாபுரம்) is a village in the foothills of the Western Ghats in Virudhunagar District, Tamil Nadu, India. It is located 2 kilometres south of Koomapatti and 7 kilometres west of Watrap. Kansapuram has road connections to the district headquarters of Southern Tamil Nadu including Madurai, Virudhunagar, and Tirunelveli. Tourist attractions such as Courtallam, Madurai, Kodaikanal, and Tiruchendur are day trips from Kansapuram.
The people of Kansapuram celebrate the festival for the God Shri Mangammal every year in the Tamil month of Purattaasi. Shri Valla Palathu Karuppasamy Temple is located at the bottom of Western Ghats and Green valleys. People from Kansapuram celebrate "Shri Valla Palathu Karuppasamy" by Pooja, Anna Dhanam, etc., frequently. "Shri Athi Koil" is located near the "Shri Valla Palathu Karuppasamy Temple". Both Hindus and Muslims from various parts of Southern Tamil Nadu visit "Shri Athi Koil". The temples Sri Sathuragiri Sundara Mahalingam, Sri Nalla Thangal, Shri Kattalagar Koil and Pilavakkal Dam are also located near Kansapuram.
Kansapuram is situated near the source of the Arjuna River. There is a dam here for irrigation called Pilavakal dam. Agriculture is the primary livelihood. The main work is cultivation of paddies, coconut and cotton,sugarcane with paddy cultivation being the most important.
There are two harvest seasons in a year for paddy & cotton. One is Kaalam when the crop is harvested in the month of Thai and the other being Kodai meaning summer harvest. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get manual labour for farm work including harvest when huge harvesting machines are pressed into service. People were dependent on bullock carts to a great extent in the not so remote past and it has really become a thing of the past now. Tractors are used for farming extensively - dry and wet ploughing, harvested paddy transportation, even for transporting people! The area is rich in natural beauty with large swathes of coconut groves, fruit plantations (jack fruit, mango), etc.
The climate of the region is semi-arid tropical monsoon type. Temperature range is 20 °C to 37 °C. It has a high mean temperature and a low degree of humidity. April, May and June are the hottest months. The southwest monsoon which sets in June and lasts till August brings scanty rain. The bulk of the rainfall is received during the northeast monsoon in the months of October, November and December.
Thevar / Maravars community is the Major population in Kansapuram. Thevar Guru Pooja / Jeyanthi celebration takes place every year on 30 October. There are also few families belonging to other castes like Dalits, Pillai, Nadar, Rajus, etc. Muslim and Christian families are also living in Kansapuram. Masjid and Church are also located in Kansapuram. Kansapuram is the birthplace of Gnanavallal Paranjothi Mahan, a teacher of kundalini yoga and founder of the Universal Peace Sanctuary in Chennai.
Places of Worship
The uphill shrine Shri Sundara Mahalingam Temple ( also known as "Thaani Paarai" and "Sathuragiri Malai" ) is located nearby. Aadi amavasai ( No Moon Day in the month of Aadi ) is when devotees from all over Tamil Nadu throng here.
There is a Krishna, Rukmini and Sathyabhama Temple called Gopala Swamy Malai, at the top of a small hillock, which is 29 km from Kansapuram on NH-47( between T.Kallupatti, Krishnankoil and Srivilliputtur towns ), and a Shiva Cave temple called Motta Malai 16 km from Kansapuram( between Watrap and Alagapuri road, take diversion after a village called Akkanapuram villaku ).
The following are a few temples in Kansapuram
- Arulmigu Mangammaal Temple
- Arulmigu Valla Palam Periya Karuppasamy Temple
- Arulmigu Murugan Temple
- Arulmigu Kaliamman Temple
- Arulmigu Vella Pillaiyar Temple
- Arulmigu Nallathangal Temple
- Arulmigu Mariamman Swamy Temple
- Arulmigu Muniyandi Swamy Temple
- Arulmigu Sappaani Muthaiah Temple
Places of interest
- Srivilliputhur Andal Temple This temple is a popular Hindu temple and one of the 108 Divya Desams, the most important abodes of Lord Vishnu and is the birthplace of two of the most important Alwars (saints) in the Vaishnavite tradition, Periyazhvar and Andal.
- Madavar Vilagam Vaidyanathar temple - enshrining a six feet high monolithic image of Natarajar.
- Thiruvannamalai Also known as Thenthirupathi, located around 5 km from Srivilliputhur. It was said that Thirupathi Venkatachalapathi who had gone hunting saw the place and remained there. It is frequented by people for worship during Purattaasi (mid-September to mid-October).
- Kattalagar Koil This temple is located 9 km, east of Srivilliputhur over the Mantuga Hills. In this temple Kallagar is in the form of Kattalagar. The theertha thotti water flows throughout the year.
- Sathuragiri Hills The abode of siddhar (Tamil sages), and home of two temples: Sundra Mahalingam temple and Sandhana Mahalingam temple. These have to be reached by a 13 km trek over the hills. The Tamil novelist, Indira Soundarajan has written a several suspense thriller based on this town. See Watrap page for more details. There are a couple of water falls on the way, will be a perfect weekend getaway if you stay nearby. This place known for rare medicinal plants. The medicinal value of 275 plants has been recorded and reported. The forests host a rich variety of orchids and ferns.
- Pilavakkal is a dam here in Kansapuram village for irrigation and agriculture and it is one of the beautiful excellent picnic spots.
Schools in Kansapuram:
- Panchayat Union Middle School
Kalasalingam University @ Krishnankoil is about 8 km from Kansapuram. The university has an Engineering college, Pharmacy college, college of Business Administration, Polytechnic, ITI, Teacher Training Institute and several other courses under its umbrella.
Kansapuram is well connected by rail, road and air :
The nearest railway station is 23 kilometers away at Srivilliputtur. There are several passenger trains from Madurai to Srivilliputtur. The Pothigai Express is a daily train from Chennai Egmore to Sengottai that reaches Srivilliputtur at 6:00 a.m., and a more frequent local train runs between Madurai Junction and Sengottai. From Srivilliputtur local busses provide service to Kansapuram.
Kansapuram has road connections to the district headquarters of Southern Tamil Nadu including Madurai 85 km, Virudhunagar 50 km, and Tirunelveli 125 km. National Highway 208 (Madurai, Tamil Nadu - Kollam, Kerala) passes close to Kansapuram.
Kansapuram is connected from NH-208 around 12 km ( From Krishnan Kovil ) and 24 km ( from Alagapuri Village ) and plenty of buses operate to and from the places below .
The nearest Airport is Madurai Airport (80 km). Numerous local taxi operators transport passengers to and from the airport.
Banks and Financial Institution(s)
- Virudhunagar District Central Co-operative Bank Ltd.
- "Sri Nallathangal temple". Temples of Tamil Nadu. Dinamalar.
- "பராமரிக்கப்படாத வறுமையின் சின்னம்:கனவில் வந்து தடுத்த நல்லதங்காள்?!". Tamilaga Arasiyal (in Tamil).
- "Water released for irrigation". The Hindu. 27 Nov 2012.
- "History". Universal Peace Sanctuary.
- "About Us". Paranjothi Gnanaoli Peedam.
- "நக்சல் தாக்குதலில் பலியான 2 போலீசாருக்கு முதல்வர் நிதி" [2 policemen killed in Naxal attack]. Dinamalar (in Tamil). 20 Nov 2010.
- "Nallathangal (Story of Brother, sister affection)". Archived from the original on 2012-04-03.
- "Virudhunagar: Watrap Block - Panchayat Villages". Government of Tamil Nadu.
- "Virudhunagar District". Government of Tamil Nadu.
- "Virudhunagar District Website".
- "Indian Railways". Centre for Railway Information Systems.
- "Tension near Koomapatti". The Hindu. 15 May 2012.
- "மொபைல் போன் மூலம் குடிநீர் மோட்டார் இயக்கி கான்சாபுரம் ஊராட்சியில் புதுமை" [Kansapuram local water motor driven by innovative mobile phone application]. Dinamalar (in Tamil). 1 June 2010.
- "சிரத்தையுடன் மரம் வளர்ப்போருக்கு தங்க நாணயம் பரிசு முன்னோடி திட்டத்தை முன்வைத்த கான்சாபுரம் கிராமம்" [Pioneering tree breeding program with gold coin prize in Kansapuram]. Dinamalar (in Tamil). 8 June 2010.
- "தாலுகா கிரிக்கெட் போட்டி" [Taluk cricket match]. Dinamalar (in Tamil). 19 Jan 2011.
- "மின்சாரம் சேமிக்க தானியங்கி கருவி அமைக்க :நிர்வாகங்கள் முன் வருமா?" [Automatic tool set to save electricity: Will administrations act?]. Dinamalar (in Tamil). 23 Aug 2010.
- "பாதியில் கைவிடப்பட்ட குடிநீர் திட்டம்:தாகத்தில் கான்சாபுரம் மக்கள் தவிப்பு" [Abandoned project half complete: Thirst, anxiety in Kansapuram]. Dinamalar (in Tamil). 8 Sep 2010.
- "மஞ்சு விரட்டு இன்றி வெறிச்சோடிய கிராமங்கள் : களை இழந்த மாட்டு பொங்கல்" [News article about Mattu Pongal]. Dinamalar (in Tamil). 17 Jan 2011.