Roger Lumley, 11th Earl of Scarbrough
Lumley sat in the House of Commons as Member of Parliament (MP) for Hull East 1922–29, then York 1931–37. In 1923 he was Parliamentary Private Secretary to William Ormsby-Gore, from 1924–26 to Sir Austen Chamberlain and subsequently to Anthony Eden. In 1937, he was appointed Governor of Bombay, serving until 1943. Upon his return from India, Lumley served as acting Major-General in World War II. Following the War, he continued his connections with the Army, as an honorary colonel.
He succeeded to the Earldom of Scarbrough in 1945 following the death of his uncle. He served as Lord Chamberlain from 1952 to 1963 and chancellor of the University of Durham from 1958 to 1969. He was made a Knight of the Garter in 1948.
Outside of politics, the Earl had a keen interest in Asian and African studies. He presided over the Interdepartmental Commission of Enquiry on Oriental, Slavonic, East European and African Studies set up after the Second World War to consider how Britain might maintain and increase the links it had built up during the war in the geographical areas under the Commission's consideration. The Commission's report, presented in 1947, argued for considerable strengthening of university departments' capacity to carry out research and training related to these areas, and for significant funds to be made available to this end. However after five years of strong growth following the presentation of the Scarbrough report, in 1952 much of the funding was withdrawn.
Lumley married Katherine Isobel McEwen, sister of Sir John McEwen, 1st Baronet in 1922. They had five children:
- Lady Mary Constance Lumley (20 Apr 1923 – 23 Jan 1998); married Lt Col Roger Fleetwood-Hesketh
- Lady Elizabeth Lumley (b. 22 Jul 1925); married Christopher Beckett, 4th Baron Grimthorpe, had 2 sons and 1 daughter. Their older son is Edward Beckett, 5th Baron Grimthorpe.
- Lady Anne Katharine Gabrielle Lumley (16 Nov 1928 – 2006); married Matthew White Ridley, 4th Viscount Ridley, had 4 children, one of whom is zoologist and writer Matt Ridley.
- Richard Aldred Lumley, 12th Earl of Scarbrough (5 Dec 1932 – 23 Mar 2004); married Lady Elizabeth Anne Ramsay (daughter of Simon Ramsay, 16th Earl of Dalhousie), had 4 children
- Lady Jane Lily Serena Lumley (b. 5 Oct 1935); married Hugh Wiley, has issue.
- Report of the Sub-Committee on Oriental, Slavonic, East European and African Studies (Hayter Report). London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office. 1961. pp. 6–40.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Scarbrough
- "Obituary – Lawrence Roger Lumley". Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies (courtesy of JSTOR).