A Limburger sandwich is a type of sandwich prepared with Limburger cheese. They are traditionally prepared with sliced Limburger, buttered rye bread, sliced onion and mustard. Several variations exist, such as those that add bologna, lettuce, tomato, roasted walnuts, and use white or french bread. Sometimes the rind of the cheese is rinsed or removed to reduce the amount of odor from the cheese.
In the early 20th century, Limburger sandwiches became a popular lunch for working people due to their affordability and nutritious qualities. They were frequently accompanied with a glass of beer. During prohibition in the United States, the production of Limburger decreased, which has been ascribed to the lack of beer available to be consumed with the cheese.
In popular culture
During the filming of a show for the History Channel, Daniel Lawrence Whitney ("Larry the Cable Guy") stated that the Limburger sandwich he was eating tasted "like a dead possum" after he spat it out.
A youtube parody video was made by youtuber Matt Stonie featuring the 'McLimburger', a McDonalds Cheeseburger with a full block of Limburger cheese placed inside it. Stonie ate the whole burger.
- Allen, T. (2003). Wisconsin's Hometown Flavors: A Cook's Tour of Butcher Shops, Bakeries, Cheese Factories, and Other Specialty Markets. Big Earth Publishing. pp. 19-20. ISBN 1931599203
- Martin, Cynthia M. (2011). 101 Recipes for Making Cheese: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply. Atlantic Publishing Company. p 16. ISBN 1601383568
- Fuller, Eva Greene (1909). The Up-to-date Sandwich Book: 400 Ways to Make a Sandwich. A. C. McClurg & Company. p. 107.
- Madison, Deborah (2010).Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Random House Digital, Inc. p. (unlisted). ISBN 0307885763
- O'Neill, Helen (May 8, 2013). "Charming Wisconsin town not shy about celebrating Limburger, world's stinkiest cheese". Calgary Herald. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Norton, James; Dilley, Becca (2009). The Master Cheesemakers of Wisconsin. Univ. of Wisconsin Press. p. 17. ISBN 0299234339
- Loathsome Luncheon - The Classic Limburger Sandwich from Culinary Alchemy