List of Kansas City Chiefs first-round draft picks
The following is a complete list of players selected in the first round by the Kansas City Chiefs in the National Football League Draft. The list excludes the 1960 draft selections, due to the team's requirement to fill up their entire squad. Center E. J. Holub was the initial first round selection by made by the franchise.
From 1960 to 1962, the Chiefs were known as the Dallas Texans until their relocation to Kansas City, Missouri. The team participated in the American Football League's annual player draft from 1960 to 1966 until the beginning of the common draft in 1967 and the AFL's subsequent merger with the National Football League in 1970. Since 1970, the team has participated in the National Football League's annual player draft.
The Chiefs have only had the first overall selection in the draft twice in franchise history, once in 2013, the other in 1963 when the team traded quarterback Cotton Davidson to the Oakland Raiders for the selection. The franchise has selected two players in the first round in the same year on five different occasions, coming in 1963, 1968, 1979, 1984, and 2008. The team has also traded away their first pick five times, coming in 1973, 1975, 1993, 2001, and 2004.
Like most teams in the NFL, the Chiefs have never drafted a fullback, placekicker, or punter in the first round of the NFL Draft. Running backs are the most commonly selected by the Chiefs in the first round, with 10 coming since 1960.
Four players have been chosen by the Chiefs from LSU in the first round of the NFL Draft, with three consecutive from 2007–2009, the most from any one university. Southern California, Iowa, Tennessee and Penn. State have all contributed three players to the Chiefs in the first round of the draft, all tied for second-most from one school.
- Kansas City Chiefs 2007 NFL Draft Headquarters, Retrieved 22 July 2007.
- Elected to play in the National Football League instead of the American Football League.
- Selection acquired in a trade from the Oakland Raiders. To date, this is the Chiefs' only first overall selection.
- Obtained QB Joe Montana, S David Whitmore and San Francisco’s 1994 third-round pick in exchange for the Chiefs' first-round pick (18th overall).
- Obtained Jacksonville’s first-round pick (31st overall, Trezelle Jenkins), third-round pick (97th overall, LB Troy Dumas), fourth-round pick (134th overall, QB Steve Stenstrom) and a 1996 fourth-round pick for the Chiefs' first-round pick (19th overall).
- Obtained Houston’s first-round pick (13th overall, TE Tony Gonzalez) and fourth-round pick (110th overall, QB Pat Barnes) in exchange for the Chiefs' first-round (18th overall), third-round (81st overall), fourth-round (116th overall) and sixth-round (181st overall) picks.
- Obtained QB Trent Green and St. Louis’ fifth-round pick (150th overall, RB Derrick Blaylock) in exchange for the Chiefs' first-round pick (12th overall).
- Obtained Dallas’ first-round pick (sixth overall, DT Ryan Sims) in exchange for the Chiefs' first-round pick (8th overall), third-round pick (75th overall) and a sixth-round pick in 2003.
- Obtained Pittsburgh’s first-round pick (27th overall, RB Larry Johnson), third-round pick (92nd overall, CB Julian Battle) and sixth-round pick (200th overall, subsequently traded to the New York Jets) in exchange for the Chiefs' first-round pick (16th overall).
- Obtained Detroit’s 2004 second-round pick (DT Junior Siavii), fourth-round pick (WR Samie Parker) and a fifth-round pick in 2005 in exchange for the Chiefs' first-round pick (30th overall).
- Rosenthal, Gregg (April 25, 2013). "Eric Fisher goes No. 1 to Kansas City Chiefs in NFL draft". National Football League. Retrieved April 25, 2013.
|Lists of NFL first-round draft picks by team|
|American Football Conference|
|AFC East||AFC North||AFC South||AFC West|
|National Football Conference|
|NFC East||NFC North||NFC South||NFC West|