List of people from Tambov
Valentin Avrorin (1907–1977) - Member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR
Vasily Agapkin (1884–1964) - a military orchestra conductor, composer
Nickolai Annenkov (Kokin) (1899–1999) - patriarch of the Moscow Maly Theatre.
Nickolai Arkharov (1742–1814) - Russian statesman.
Alexander Bezobrazov (1783–1871) - Russian statesman
Roman Boborykin - Russian statesman
Vsevolod Bobrov (1922–1979) - sportsman
Vladimir Bolotin (Born in 1926) - Mechanical engineer
Leonid Diomin (1897–1973) - Doctor of Geographical Sciences, professor.
Maksim Dmitriev (1858–1948) - Russian photographer
Fiodor Dubovitsky (1907–1999) - Doctor of Chemical Sciences, professor
- Feofan, Vyshensky hermit (Georgy Govorov) (1815–1894) - Tambov bishop )
- Zoya Gaidai (1902–1965) - Ukrainian singer (soprano).
- Nikita Galakhov (1864–1912) - the inventor of the elliptical springs for the railroad carriages.
- Nickolai Gamalei (1795–1859) - Russian statesman, Vitebsk governor, served in the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
- Aleksandr Gerasimov (1881–1963) - Soviet painter
- Natalia Goncharova (1812–1863) - A. S. Pushkin's wife. She was born in the village Karian-Zagryazhskoye of the Tambov province.
- Maksim Gorky (Alexei Peshkov) (1868–1936) - Russian and Soviet writer and public figure, a founder of socialist realism literature.
- Afanasy Grigoriev (1782–1868) - architect, took part in the reconstruction of Moscow after the War 1812.
- Konstantin Igumnov (1873–1948) - a pianist-virtuoso, professor of Moscow Conservatory,
- Lev Ilyin (1880–1942) - an architect, in 1925-1938 the main architect of Leningrad.
- Paisi Kaysarov (1783–1844) - General
- Ivan Kalita (born 1927) - the equestrian sport Olympic Champion (1972).
- Andrei Karelin (1837–1906) - artist, photographer of the Academy of Arts,
- Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya (1923–1941) - a partisan
- Yevgeny Krinov (1906–1984) - the investigator of meteorites.
- Lev Kuleshov (1899–1970) - Soviet film producer and film critic
- Yevgeny Lanceray (1848–1886) - the well-known Russian sculptor.
- Igor Levkoev (1909–1978) - a chemist-photographer
- Alexander Levshin (1899–1982) - a producer.
- Mikhail Lermontov (1814–1841) - the well-known Russian poet.
- Alexander Lodygin (1847–1923) - one of the founders of the electrothermy, author of almost 400 inventions including a tungsten filament lamp. He was born in the village of Stenshino of the Tambov province.
- Luka (Valentin Voino-Yasenetsky) (1877–1961) - Doctor of Medicine and surgeon
- Mikhail Lunin (1787–1845) - the Decembrist
- Alexei T. Sergeev (b. 1919) - bass singer; one of the Alexandrov Ensemble soloists. People's Artist of the USSR, State Prize of the USSR.
- Maria Spiridonova (1884–1941) - revolutionary
- Alexandr Potapov (1985-...) - most popular designer and producer