List of tool-lending libraries
The following tool-lending libraries allow patrons to borrow tools, equipment and "how-to" instructional materials, functioning either as a rental shop, with a charge for borrowing the tools, or more commonly free of charge as a form of community sharing.
A tool lending library was started in Columbus, OH in 1976. Originally run by the City, the Tool Library is now operated by Rebuilding Together Central Ohio, a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization that works to preserve and revitalize homes and communities in Central Ohio. The RTCO Tool Library makes available over 4,500 tools free of charge to both individuals and non-profit organizations. This tool library was among many in what could maybe be considered the first generation of tool libraries, most of which were founded in the late 70s or early 80s. One of the first tool libraries was the Berkeley Tool Lending Library, which started in 1979 with a $30,000 community block grant. A variation of the tool lending library model exists in Atlanta, Georgia. At the Atlanta Community ToolBank, the tools are reserved for use by nonprofit and other community-based organizations who are performing volunteer and facility maintenance projects. The ToolBank tool inventory is not available to individuals.
More recently, the community of West Seattle in Washington started the West Seattle Tool Library, which provides a wide variety of tools and resources for individuals and organizations while specifically encouraging sustainable urban living. In 2011, Popular Mechanics recognized "Building a Local Tool Library" as one of its top ten ways to change the world, while highlighting the West Seattle Tool Library.
In response to that recognition, "Share Starter", a non-profit based in Seattle, began to offer a free "Tool Library Starter Kit" to any community interested in starting a lending library of their own.
Given their increasing popularity and proven history of success, tool libraries are now playing an exciting role in the burgeoning sharing economy.
- Melbourne, Victoria Maribyrnong City Council / Braybrook Community Centre's Tool Library – Woodwork facilities can be hired for classes and activities.
- Brunswick (Melbourne), Victoria Brunswick Tool Library 
- Toronto – Toronto Tool Library: home repair, community projects, gardening/ landscaping
- Ottawa – Ottawa Public Library – pedometers, energy meters
- Calgary, Alberta – Calgary Public Library – Energy meters
- Vancouver – Vancouver Tool Library: home repair, gardening/landscaping, and bike maintenance tools
- Hamafkid – Israel lending tools and other equipment site
- Internet platform - Verktygsbibblan
- Borås – Mötesplats Norrby, Borås Public Library
- Malmö - ToolPool, Malmö Järnhandel
- Gothenburg - A tool library at a student community in Gothenburg (SGS Ceres)
United States 
- Berkeley – Berkeley Public Library's Tool Lending Library 
- Oakland – Oakland Public Library's Temescal Tool Lending Library
- San Francisco – San Francisco Tool Lending Center (recently re-opened, check site for more information)
- Santa Clara – Silicon Valley Power Tool Lending Library (energy-related only)
- Sonoma County (Santa Rosa) – Santa Rosa Tool Library
- Loma Linda – Loma Linda Redevelopment Agency's Tool Lending Library
- Atlanta – Atlanta Community ToolBank
- Bloomington/Normal- http://www.thetoollib.com – The Tool Library
- Cedar Rapids – Matthew 25 Tool Library
- Dubuque – Washington Tool Library 345 E 18th Street
- Des Moines – Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity Tool Lending Library
- Wichita – Community Housing Services of Wichita/Sedgwick County's Tool Lending Library (defunct)
- New Orleans – New Orleans Tool Lending Library, 1717 Tchoupitoulas St., New Orleans, LA email@example.com
- Mount Rainier - Mount Rainier Community Tool Shed - City of Mount Rainier tool library.
- Baltimore - Station North Tool Library - City of Baltimore tool library.
- BYEN Tool Library - 2010 Columbus Ave., Roxbury, MA - 
- Northfield Tool Lending Library - Caldwell Road (Transfer Station) - 
- Ann Arbor – Ann Arbor District Library (energy meter only)
- Grosse Pointe – Grosse Point Public Library and the Grosse Point Rotary Club's Tool Library
- Kansas City – Westside Housing Organization's Tool Lending Library
- Springfield – Urban Neighborhood Alliance – ToolBox
- Missoula – Missoula Urban Demonstration Project (MUD) Tool Library
New Mexico 
- Santa Fe – Santa Fe Habitat for Humanity ReStore Tool Lending Library
New York 
- Buffalo – Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy's Tool Lending Library
- Buffalo – PUSH Buffalo and Buffalo ReUSE's Tool Library
- Buffalo – University Heights Tool Library
- Rochester – Corn Hill Neighbors Association's Tool Library
- Manhattan – SeaportTools.org Tool Lending Library
- Central Ohio – Rebuilding Together Central Ohio Tool Library
- North Portland – North Portland Tool Library
- Hands on Greater Portland – Hands on Greater Portland (only non-profits can borrow tools)
- Northeast Portland – Northeast Portland Tool Library
- Southeast Portland Tool Library – Southeast Portland Tool Library
- Green Lents Community Tool Library -Lents and adjacent neighborhoods
- Orem – City of Orem Tool Lending Library
- Burlington – Fletcher Free Library
- North Seattle – Phinney Neighborhood Association's Tool Lending Library
- West Seattle – The West Seattle Tool Library
- Northeast Seattle - Northeast Seattle Tool Library
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Tool libraries|
- "Tool Library welcomes borrows in Columbus." The Columbus Dispatch. October 18, 2009.
- "Tool Lending Library". Berkeley Public Library.
- "Library Dispenses Tools and Home-Repair Advice". Berkeley Daily Planet. August 19, 2005.
- "Braybrook Community Centre". Maribyrnong City Council.
- "Brunswick Tool Library". Brunswick Tool Library.
- "Interview with Peter McElligott of Berkeley Tool Library". Jonathan Gray.
- "Atlanta Community ToolBank". Atlanta Community ToolBank.
- "Library puts tools in people's hands". American Public Media. May 7, 2009.
- "West Philly Tool Library". Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition.
- "Keep Austin Beautiful's Tool Lending Library". Keep Austin Beautiful.
- "Tool Lending Library". City of Orem.
- "Tool Lending Library". Habitat for Humanity of Utah County.
- "Phinney Neighborhood Association Tool Lending Library". Phinney Neighborhood Association.
- "The West Seattle Tool Library". Sustainable West Seattle.