Live at the Fillmore East, March 7, 1970: It's About that Time
|Live at the Fillmore East, March 7, 1970: It's About That Time|
|Live album by Miles Davis|
|Released||July 17, 2001|
|Recorded||Fillmore East, New York City, March 7, 1970|
Live at the Fillmore East March 7, 1970: It's About that Time is a live double album by Miles Davis. Sony Music Entertainment released the album in 2001, although the concert had previously circulated as a bootleg recording. The March 7, 1970 concert consisted of two sets, each of which is presented on one compact disc.
Live at the Fillmore East records the final concert with saxophonist Wayne Shorter in Davis' band. At the same time, it is one of the first recordings (along with the 1969 Miles Festiva De Juan Pins) to document Davis' use of electric instruments in a concert setting. Davis performed on the nights of March 6 and 7 at Fillmore East; Columbia Records recorded both nights' concerts, but as of 2008 has only released the March 7 show. (The March 6 shows are available through Wolfgang's Vault, however). A number of the compositions performed during the concert appear on Bitches Brew, which had not yet been released at the time of this concert.
All compositions by Miles Davis unless otherwise indicated.
- CD 1 (first set)
- "Directions" (Joe Zawinul) – 8:44
- "Spanish Key" – 11:16
- "Masqualero" (Wayne Shorter) – 9:57
- "It's About That Time/The Theme" – 14:03
- CD 2 (second set)
- "Directions" (Joe Zawinul) – 10:14
- "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" – 7:40
- "Bitches Brew" – 8:02
- "Spanish Key" – 8:33
- "It's About That Time/Willie Nelson" – 11:42
- Miles Davis: trumpet
- Wayne Shorter: soprano and tenor saxophone
- Chick Corea: Fender Rhodes electric piano
- Dave Holland: acoustic and electric bass
- Jack DeJohnette: drums
- Airto Moreira: percussion, cuica
- Original Recordings Produced by Teo Macero
- Concert Produced by Bill Graham
- Produced for Release by Bob Belden
- Recorded by Stan Tonkel
- Mixed by Richard King
- Mastered by Mark Wilder, Seth Foster
- Art direction: Howard Fritzson
- Design: Alice Butts
- Cover photo: Amalie R. Rothschild
Charting and reviews
|Down Beat||July 2001|
|Penguin Guide to Jazz||()8th Ed.|
|Pitchfork Media||(9.5/10) link|
|Billboard Top Jazz Albums||3|
- Allmusic - Live at the Fillmore East, March 7, 1970: It's About That Time
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2006) . "Miles Davis". The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (8th ed. ed.). New York: Penguin. p. 328. ISBN 0-14-102327-9.
- Losin, Peter. "Miles Ahead Session Details". Miles Ahead. Peter Losin. Retrieved 2008-08-09.
- Isaacs, James (2001). "A Series of Firsts and a Very Final Last". Live at the Fillmore East March 7, 1970: It's About that Time (Media notes). Miles Davis. New York: Columbia Records/Sony Music Entertainment.
- Discogs.com - Bitches Brew Discogs. Retrieved on 2008-08-30
- "Live at the Fillmore East, March 7, 1970 – Allmusic – Charts & Awards". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-06-20.