Lynn Russell Chadwick CBE (24 November 1914 – 25 April 2003) was an English artist and sculptor trained as an architectural draughtsman, but began producing metal mobile sculpture during the 1940s.
Chadwick was born in London and went to Merchant Taylors' School. He worked as a draughtsman for several London architect's practices until 1939 and focussed on techniques of watercolor and oil painting. Served as a Royal Navy pilot in the Fleet Air Arm (1941–4) and then worked as a freelance designer until 1952.
Chadwick was commissioned to produce 3 works for the 1951 Festival of Britain exhibition. He exhibited at the Venice Biennale in 1952 with Reg Butler, Bernard Meadows and Eduardo Paolozzi and he won the International Prize for Sculpture in Venice in 1956. His work is included in most major public collections. Chadwick is featured in the 1964 documentary film "5 British Sculptors (Work and Talk)" by American filmmaker Warren Forma. Many of Chadwicks prints have been on exhibit at Tate Britain, London.
Married three times, Chadwick had four children: Simon by his first wife the Canadian poet Ann Secord whom he married in 1942, Sarah and Sophie by his second wife Frances Mary Jamieson whom he married in 1959, and Daniel by his third wife the Hungarian photographer Eva Rainer whom he married in 1965.
Chadwick was made a Commander of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in 1964, and a French Officier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in 1985.
Awards and honours
- 1953 Honorable mention and prize, UnknownPolitical Prisoner international sculpture competition
- 1956 International prize for sculpture at the Venice Biennale.
- 1964 Commander of the British Empire
- 1985 French Officier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres
- 2001 Royal Academician, UK
- Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris
- Museumof Modern Art, New York
- RoyalAcademy of Arts Collection, London
- Tate, London
- British Council
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice
- Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea, Rome
- National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Cleveland Museum of Art, Ohio
- Wichita State University Outdoor Sculpture Collection
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lynn Chadwick.|