|Native name||Metropole Orkest|
|Location||Hilversum, The Netherlands|
|Principal conductor||Jules Buckley|
|Website||Website Metropole Orkest|
The Metropole Orkest (or Metropole Orchestra) is a jazz and pop orchestra based in the Netherlands, and is the largest full-time ensemble of its kind in the world. A hybrid orchestra, it is a combination of jazz big band and symphony orchestra. Comprising 52 musicians, it is versatile across many musical forms, and is equipped with a "double rhythm section“ - one for pop and rock, and one for jazz based music.
The Metropole Orkest was founded in 1945 by Dolf van der Linden at the urging of officials from Netherlands Public Broadcasting, which manages and subsidizes the orchestra. Since then, the Metropole has become a symbol of Dutch culture around the world. The name of the group was suggested by one of the musicians. Dolf van der Linden led the ensemble for 35 years until he stepped down in 1980. He was replaced by Rogier van Otterloo, who led the group until his sudden death in 1988. Dick Bakker held the baton until 2005 when Vince Mendoza took over. He gave the orchestra a more international character. Since August 2013 Jules Buckley took over the position of chief conductor from Vince Mendoza.
The Metropole Orkest is a regular feature at the North Sea Jazz festival and the yearly Holland Festival along with many TV and radio programs broadcast to millions. The ever-growing Dutch film and television industry relies heavily on the Metropole Orkest for its film scores. From 2005 to 2013 the Metropole was under the baton of four-time Grammy Award winner Vince Mendoza and performed frequently on the concert stage, at festivals and on recordings of both Dutch and international artists.
In European Radio broadcasting, its closest counterparts are the BBC Concert Orchestra, and in particular the now defunct BBC Radio Orchestra which had the same instrumentation. The ensembles often performed with the same guest conductors and soloists, using the same bespoke arrangements. The Metropole Orkest is known for its adaptations to World music and classic Jazz works. Throughout the years the orchestra had some unique partnerships. Some examples are Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, Al Jarreau, Bono, Elvis Costello, Within Temptation, Todd Rundgren and Basement Jaxx.
The government was looking to pull their funding from the famous orchestra and Dutch cultural icon. At the last minute, in December 2012, politicians secured funding for the orchestra until 2017.
|- 1st Violin||- Bass||- Oboe|
|- 2nd Violin||- Harp||- Horn|
|- Viola||- Clarinet||- Saxophone|
|- Cello||- Piano||- Trumpet|
|- Double Bass||- Synthesizer||- Trombone|
|- Flute||- Drums||- Percussion|
- Dolf van der Linden 1945-1980
- Rogier van Otterloo 1980-1988
- Dick Bakker 1991-2005
- Vince Mendoza 2005-2013
- Jules Buckley 2013–present
A broad selection of albums of the Metropole Orkest, most of them in cooperation with several famous artists.
|2006||My Flame Burns Blue
|2006||The Look of Love - Burt Bacharach Songbook||—||27||—||—||—||—||1||—|
|2009||Ivan Lins and The Metropole Orkest||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Winner of Latin Grammy in category Best Brazilian Album|
|2010||Alive Till I'm Dead||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011||Black Symphony (live album)||36||16||24||32||77||17||3||25|
|2011||Basement Jaxx vs Metropole Orkest
|2012||Perfect Vision - The Esquivel Sound
||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Nominated for Edison Award for World Music|
|2013||Sweet Soul Music||—||—||—||—||—||—||7||—|
|2013||Amsterdam Meets New Tango||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014||Laura Mvula With Metropole Orkest||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|1996||Oscar||Antonia: Best Non-English Movie|
|2011||Grammy Award||Best Instrumental Arrangement: 54, with John Scofield|
|2011||(Latin) Grammy Award||Best Brazilian Album: Ivan Lins & The Metropole Orkest|}|
- Musiker, Reuben & Musiker, Naomi (1998). Conductors and Composers of Popular Orchestral Music: A Biographical and Discographical Sourcebook. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press. pp. 263–265. ISBN 0-313-30260-X.
- "The Metropole Orkest". En.metropoleorkest.nl. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- home » Metropole Orkest. www.mo.nl/en. Retrieved on 2013-08-07.
- Basement Jaxx: Basement Jaxx Vs Metropole Orkest, CD review. Telegraph (2011-07-07). Retrieved on 2013-08-07.
- Metropole Orkest krijgt subsidie tot 2017 - muziek - VK. Volkskrant.nl. Retrieved on 2013-08-07.
- Steffen Hung. "AustrianCharts.com: Metropole Orkest page (Ö3 Austria Top 40)". Austriancharts.at. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- "Ultratop.be/nl/: Metropole Orkest page (Ultratop 50)". Ultratop.be. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- "Metropole Orkest page (Ultratop 40". Ultratop.be. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Steffen Hung. "Metropole Orkest page (The Official Finnish Charts". FinnishCharts.com. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Steffen Hung. "Metropole Orkest page (SNEP French Singles Chart". LesCharts.com. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Steffen Hung. "Metropole Orkest page (German Media Control German Charts". GermanCharts.com. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Steffen Hung. "DutchCharts.com: Metropole Orkest page (Dutch Top 40)". Dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Steffen Hung. "Hitparad.ch: Metropole Orkest page". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Metropole Orkest.|