Nederlandse Publieke Omroep (organization)
- "Netherlands Public Broadcasting" redirects here. For other uses, see Dutch Public Broadcasting.
The Nederlandse Publieke Omroep logo
|Henk Hagoort (Chairman of the Board of Directors)|
The foundation Nederlandse Publieke Omroep (abbr. NPO, in English: Dutch Public Broadcasting [Agency] or Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting) is a Dutch public broadcasting organization that administers the public broadcasting service in the Netherlands.
Media Act 2008
- See Mediawet 2008 in the Dutch Wikipedia.
According to Article 2.2 the Dutch Media Act of 2008, NPO was appointed as the governing organization of the public broadcasting system of the Netherlands until 2020. At the head of the organization there are two bodies: The Board of Directors that administers the whole public television and radio broadcasting system and the Supervisory Board.
Prior to the 2002 reorganization, the Dutch public broadcasting system was managed by another public broadcasting orrganization, NOS.
The objectives of NPO are:
- Promoting cooperation and cohesion among national broadcasters
- Providing broadcasters with air time / space in the media
- Distributing the budget between broadcasters
- Providing distribution (sales) and subtitlling support for broadcasters
- Conducting independent research on the quality and consumer image of radio, television and web platforms
Representation in international organizations
In 2013, NPO became the winner of the Prix Europa award for the Best TV Fiction Script by a Newcomer (for the screenplay of the film The Deflowering of Eva Van End, written by Anne Barnhoorn in collaboration with NPO).
- Business Wire (2010-05-20). "Dutch Public Broadcasting Agency Selects Energy Efficient Data Storage by Inprove Powered By NexentaStor". Reuters (Reuters is not responsible for the content in this press release).
- "National Integrity System Assessment, Netherlands". Transparency International Netherlands (transparency.nl). Retrieved 2014-11-23.
The Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting (NPO) is the cooperation and coordination body for the implementation of the public media mission on a national level. The NPO is required to provide information to the Minister of OCW. Also, a report must be submitted annually.
- "Welke rol speelt de NPO als organisatie binnen het Nederlandse omroepbestel?" (in Dutch). NPO (PubliekeOmroep.nl). Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- "EBU - Active Members". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- "Prix Europa: NPO netherlands wins EBU sponsored TV award". European Broadcasting Union. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2014-11-23.