Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine
|Michigan State University
College of Veterinary Medicine
|Dean||Dr. John Baker|
|Location||East Lansing, Michigan, USA|
|Tuition (2009-2010)||$21,678 resident
The Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) was founded in 1910 and awards about 100 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degrees each year. It is the only veterinary college in Michigan. It is composed of the departments of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Microbiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Physiology, and Pathobiology, and Diagnostic Investigation. It offers a four-year program leading to the DVM as well as graduate study leading to the master of science (MS) and PhD, and recently a joint program in veterinary medicine and public health (DVM/MPH), affiliated with University of Minnesota's School of Public Health. The college was the setting for the show Vet School Confidential, which originally aired on Animal Planet in 2001.
When Michigan State University opened in 1855, the school provided education in veterinary science as part of its agricultural mission. The first veterinarian joined the faculty at MSU in 1883. The veterinary school was established in 1910.
Michigan State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital
The Michigan State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital is part of the college, and provides veterinary medical services in 18 specialty clinics. About 30,000 cases, primarily companion animals and horses, are treated iannually. In the past it has treated Zeke the Wonder Dog and the Arabian horses that performed at Michigan State Spartans football games.
Every year the hospital holds its annual "Celebration of Life" to honor pets who fought through tough illnesses.
- "MSU CVM - About". Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "Office of the Dean". Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "MSU CVM quick facts". Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "MSU CVM 2009-2010 budget". Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "MSU CVM - History". Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "Michigan State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital". College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM). 2011. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "MSU hospital honors pets who fought illnesses." Satyanarayana, Megha. Detroit Free Press. 17 April 2011