Mind of Mencia
|Mind of Mencia with Carlos Mencia|
|Created by||Carlos Mencia|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||52|
|Original channel||Comedy Central|
|Original run||July 6, 2005– July 23, 2008|
The first season of Mind of Mencia ran from July 6, 2005 to September 28, 2005, premiering on Comedy Central with an initial order of ten episodes. Soon after that the series was renewed for a second season, set to air in winter of 2006. Season 2 premiered on March 22, 2006. The first season was released on DVD on March 21, 2006 to coincide with the premiere. The second season became Comedy Central's ninth highest rated program.
In a May 2006 Wall Street Journal article, Mencia said he initially resisted requests by his network to take a deal to do a stand-up comedy album on the Comedy Central label, but will now likely appear on one.
The series ended in 2008 after four seasons when Mencia decided against filming a fifth season.
Recurring characters and sketches
In season two they put stereotypes to the test. Few of the stereotypes stood up to the test. With the exception of the following character, Punji, of course.
Punji is a Hindu storekeeper who insults customers with obvious physical and/or social problems, before telling them to "get the park out of my store". He often expresses the wish to be reincarnated as something the person is not likely to ever see/use (for example, he says "I hope I am reincarnated as your feet, so you will never see me again" to an obese woman). Before going on his tirades, he begs for forgiveness from various Hindu gods such as Shiva and Vishnu. Punji has been a storekeeper at "Heaven-11", a store that sells wives, and an electrical store.
Carlosaurus Rex is a call-in kid's show that deals with serious/mature matters. The show is a parody of Barney & Friends and was originally hijacked from a Barney-like character, Larry the Lizard. Examples of the mature matters the show deals with include:
- A kid telephones the show, saying that his parents sent their dog "to live on a farm" (a euphemism parents use to explain the death of a family pet). Carlosaurus sings him a song explaining that the kid's dad shot the dog and dumped the body into a river.
- A boy calls, saying that "all my other friends like girls, but I think I like boys!". Carlosaurus sings him a song, "If you think you might be gay then you're gay!" (to the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It"), whereupon the boy is then heard saying, 'Hey, Mom, I'm gay!".
- A kid asks if touching himself when he wakes up is wrong. Carlosaurus sings him a song to the tune of "Rock-a-bye Baby":
- Rock-a-bye, Billy,
- Time for sleep!
- You've washed your face,
- You've brushed your teeth.
- Now grab some lotion and that crunchy sock.
- Think of Jessica Alba while stroking your-- "...Listen kids I'm trying to tell you!"
Carlos plays a judge, and with the help of the ghost of Johnnie Cochran looks at real life recent court cases.
The Adventures of Carlitos
An animated cartoon based on Carlos' life as a kid.
Each DVD set includes uncensored versions of each season's episodes with bonus features including commentary, a behind the scenes featurette, and deleted scenes.
|Season||DVD release date||Episodes|
|1||March 21, 2006||12|
|2||April 3, 2007||15|
|3||October 23, 2007||15|
|4||November 11, 2008||10|
- "Carlos Mencia Can Sit Back And Count The Beans", TheFutonCritic.com, 31 October 2005.
- "Comedy Central delves deeper into the 'Mind of Mencia' and orders third season". Comedy Central. Retrieved 2006-10-21.
- Joe Flint. "Comedy Central Corners The Laughs Business," The Wall Street Journal, May 8, 2006.
- Sessa, Sam (2008-12-20). "For Mencia, It's Mind Over Matter". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Mind of Mencia|
- Official website
- Mind of Mencia at the Internet Movie Database
- Mind of Mencia at TV.com
- Comedy Central Corners The Laughs Business by Joe Flint, Wall Street Journal, May 8, 2006. p.B1