Misstress Barbara on the red carpet of the 2010 Juno Awards
|Birth name||Barbara Bonfiglio|
|Also known as||Barbara Brown, My Prada Heels|
|Born||1975 (age 38–39)
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, DJ, Songwriter, Singer|
|Labels||MapleMusic Recordings (Canada)|
|Website||Misstress Barbara's Website|
Barbara Bonfiglio (born 1975), better known as Misstress Barbara (the misspelling is an intentional portmanteau [i.e. "miss" and "stress"]), is an Italian-born, Canadian electronica disc jockey and singer-songwriter. Born in Sicily, she moved to Montreal, Quebec at the age of eight and has resided in the city ever since. She has also produced and DJ'd house music under the alias Barbara Brown, and has used the alias My Prada Heels.
She holds a Bachelor of Arts in Communications from the Université du Québec à Montréal. After drumming in bands since the age of twelve, she began DJing in 1995 and established record label Relentless in 1999. In 2001 she released the mix album Relentless Beats (EQ Recordings), with a second volume the following year, along with two mix albums for Trust the DJ. In 2003, to avoid legal issues with a Relentless Records, UK company of the same name, she established ITURNEM. Early success includes her song "Never Could Have Your Heart" being licensed in Rockstar Games' arcade racing video game Midnight Club II. In 2006, she reelased the mix album Come with Me....
In 2009 she released the debut artist album as a singer, I'm No Human, which was nominated for a 2010 Juno Award for Best Dance Recording Of The Year, and included the single "I'm Running", featuring fellow Montreal musician Sam Roberts. The album also features collaborations with Brazilian Girls and Bjorn Yttling of Peter Bjorn and John. "I'm No Human" was born out of unhappy circumstances, sparked by the death of a close family member features Misstress Barbara step from behind the turntables in front of the microphone and was recorded in her home town of Montreal. To perform songs from the album, she created a new live band and draws from her experience in electronic music infusing it with live instruments. The live show debuted at Le Festival International de Jazz de Montréal 2009, to a sold out crowd at Montreal's Club Soda. In July 2010, Misstress Barbara performed for the second year in at row at Le Festival International de Jazz de Montréal.
In April 2012 she released her second album "Many Shades Of Grey" which is, unlike her first album, more of a stand-alone project, with the song "The Right Time" as the first radio single. The live show "Many Shades Of Grey" was nominated for Best Show in "other" language at Quebec's ADISQ. In July 2012, she sang her single "The Right Time" at Parliament Hill during Canada Day celebrations and later in that same month she was back at Le Festival International de Jazz de Montréal, at La Société des Arts Technologiques (SAT), to perform her new live show "Many Shades Of Grey".
- I'm No Human (2009), EQ
- Many Shades of Grey (2012), EQ, #91 CAN
- Mixed albums
- Relentless Beats (2001), Moonshine
- "Relentless Beats Vol 2" (2002), Moonshine
- Trust the DJ: MB01 (2002), Trust the DJ
- Trust the DJ: MB02 (2002), Trust the DJ
- Iturnem in Pink (2004), Florida 135
- Come with Me... (2006), Uncivilized World
- "As Long As I Have You"
- "The Right Time"
- "I'm Running" ft. Sam Roberts – #67 Canada
- "Four On The Floor"
- "Dance Me to the End of Love"
- "Don't Leave/ Come BacK"
- "K-10/ Azzurri"
- "Come With Me"
- "On Fire" (Misstress Barbara & Carl Cox)
- "Gloria Grande"
- "In Da Moda Da Nite"
- "Misstress Barbara vs. Barbara Brown Vol 2"
- "Misstress Barbara vs. Barbara Brown Vol 1"
- "Growing Pains"
- "Effect Karma"
- "666 FVW"
- "Emotions On Plastic EP"
- "Naked Thought EP"
- "Barbara Brown Presents: Il Minestrone"
- "Zero ID3"
- "Relentless Desire EP"
- "Barbara Brown Presents: Dammelo, Mi Piace EP"
- "Royal Comfort (By Foreign Textures - Misstress Barbara & Christian Smith)
- "Cry And Dry"
- "First Reality EP"
- "Never Could Have Your Heart"
- "Endless Passion"
- "International Artists EP"
- "Steps Towards Comprehension EP"
- "Iturnem In Pink"
- "White Is Pure"
Awards and Nominations
|2014||MTL Awards||Best Montreal DJ||Won|
|2013||ADISQ||"Many Shades Of Grey" - Best show in "other" language||Nomination|
|2010||Juno Awards||"I'm No Human" - Best Dance Recording Of The Year||Nomination|
|2009||GAMIQ Awards (Quebec Indie Music Awards)||"I'm No Human" - Best Electro Album Of The Year||Nomination|
|2002||UK Underground Dance Music Awards||"Best Breakthrough DJ"||Won|
|2002||MIMI Awards||SODRAC Prize||Won|
- List of Quebec musicians
- List of Quebec record labels
- Music of Quebec
- Culture of Quebec
- Disc jockey
- list of Italian Canadians
- Wigney, Allan "DJ Misstress Barbara on a mission", Canoe.ca, retrieved 2011-01-02
- Tan, Emily (2006) "Techno Tales: To Misstress Barbara, Playing the Right Music Always Trumps Self-Glory—Even If It Means Spinning in the Dark", DJ Times, Vol. 19, No. 4, retrieved 2011-01-02
- Potts, Diana "Misstress Barbara Biography", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-01-02
- "Biography of Misstress Barbara", Resident Advisor, retrieved 2011-01-02
- "Misstress Barbara - Relentless Beats", Resident Advisor, retrieved 2011-01-02
- Prato, Greg "Come with Me... Review", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-01-02
- Girard, Stéphane (2009) "Misstress Barbara - I'm No Human", Resident Advisor, 17 June 2009, retrieved 2011-01-02
- Leijon, Erik (2009) "Misstress Barbara's Human After All", CHARTattack, 17 July 2009, retrieved 2011-01-02
- Official website
- Misstress Barbara on Myspace
- Profile on The DJ List
- Fazer Magazine article November 2009