|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)|
Location of Mitaka in Tokyo Metropolis
|• Mayor||Keiko Kiyohara (since April 2003)|
|• Total||16.50 km2 (6.37 sq mi)|
|Population (November 1, 2010)|
|• Density||10,711.33/km2 (27,742.2/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Ginkgo biloba|
|- Flower||Malus halliana|
|Address||1-1-1 Nozaki, Mitaka-shi, Tokyo
As of November 1, 2010, the city has an estimated population of 176,737. and a population density of 10,711.33 persons per km². The total area is 16.50 km² and is about 50 – 55 meters above sea level. Mitaka City was officially founded on November 3, 1950.
Mitaka is located on the Kantō Plain, just outside the 23 special wards of metropolitan Tokyo, which are on its eastern borders. It is bordered by the cities of Musashino to the north, Chōfu to the south, and Koganei to the west.
The Tamagawa Josui Canal, which runs alongside Mitaka station, has an important place in history, built in 1653 to feed the local metropolis. It is also the place where novelist Osamu Dazai committed suicide in 1948. The National Astronomical Observatory of Japan is located in Mitaka.
Colleges and universities
- Graduate University for Advanced Studies - Department of Astronomical Science, School of Physical Sciences
- International Christian University - Japan's oldest and largest United States style university, founded on June 15, 1949.
- Japan Lutheran College
- Kyorin University - School of Medicine, Kyorin University Hospital and Nursing School
- Tokyo Union Theological Seminary
- University of Tokyo - the Institute of Astronomy, Faculty of Science; Mitaka International Hall of Residence
Primary and secondary schools
Public elementary and junior high schools are operated by Mitaka. Mitaka High School is operated by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Board of Education.
Studio Pierrot and Telecom Animation Film have their corporate headquarters in Mitaka. A short-lived video game manufacturer TAD Corporation was founded and headquartered in the same location. Subaru Tecnica International has its headquarters in Mitaka.
Studio Ghibli museum
- Mitaka City | population of Mitaka City
- Mitaka City | location of Mitaka City
- "Company Profile." Studio Pierrot. Retrieved on February 26, 2010.
- Latest Status Info
- Image Trademark Trademark Application of TAD CORPORATION - Serial Number 74117580 :: Justia Trademarks
- 74117580 - Trademarks411, Trademark Search Made Simple
- STI company profile. Retrieved on 2 October 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mitaka, Tokyo.|