The Musopen homepage as of March 2012
|Created by||Aaron Dunn|
|Launched||March 05, 2005|
|Alexa rank||16,149,844 (August 2012[update])|
Musopen is an online library of public domain music recordings and sheet music, launched by Aaron Dunn in 2005. It aims to "set music free" through providing music to the public for free, without copyright restrictions.
In 2010, the site organized a fundraiser via Kickstarter to commission recordings of a larger repertoire, raising a total of $68,359, more than six times their initial target of $11,000. In July 2012, Musopen announced that the editing of the recordings was finished, after which the audio files were uploaded to its website and Archive.org. The final list of music was announced in August 2012.
- "Musopen.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- "Musopen puts classical recordings, scores in public domain". Ars Technica. 22 May 2008.
- "Orchestra To Turn Copyright Free Classical Scores Into Copyright Free Music". Slashdot. 12 September 2010.
- Dunn, Aaron. "Musopen: Record and release free music without copyrights.". Kickstarter.
- Dunn, Aaron (13 July 2012). "Done!". Kickstarter.
- Dunn, Aaron (15 August 2012). "Done and Done". Kickstarter.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Musopen|