Nelson Airport (New Zealand)
Te Papa Waka Rererangi o Whakatū
Nelson Airport, 1977
|Operator||Nelson Airport Limited|
|Location||Nelson, New Zealand|
|Elevation AMSL||17 ft / 5 m|
Nelson Airport (Māori: Te Papa Waka Rererangi o Whakatū, (IATA: NSN, ICAO: NZNS)) is located 6 km southwest of the city, in the suburb of Annesbrook, in Nelson, New Zealand. Approximately 1.2 million passengers and visitors use the airport terminal annually. Total passenger numbers for the 2011 financial year were 758,250. This represents passenger growth of approximately 11% on the previous year. It is currently the sixth busiest airport in New Zealand by scheduled passenger traffic.
Construction of Nelson Airport commenced in 1937. In 2006, the airport received restricted international airport status and it has handled international private jets since then. In terms of scheduled aircraft movements Nelson is the eighth busiest airport in New Zealand. The airport averages 80 aircraft movements each day, with an aircraft departing or arriving on average every six minutes during scheduled hours.
Nelson airport is the home base of Air Nelson operating under the Air NZ Link banner, which operates a fleet of Bombardier Dash 8 Q300s on national air routes. Air New Zealand, Air Nelson's parent airline, recently expanded its Nelson base, investing 30 million dollars to develop the engineering and technical workshops. Air New Zealand then announced the Air Nelson maintenance facility would also handle fellow subsidiary Mount Cook Airline's fleet of ATR 72-500/600 aircraft.
The airport has a single terminal building with 9 tarmac gates. A further 7 remote gates are located adjacent to the terminal.
In 2014, Nelson City Council deemed the main terminal of Nelson Airport a earthquake risk and at fault of possible liquefaction. The airport has been granted 10 years to upgrade the terminal to meet current building standards.
Airlines and destinations
|Adventure Flights Golden Bay||Charter: Karamea, Takaka|
|Air New Zealand Link operated by Air Nelson||Auckland, Christchurch, Palmerston North (ends 28 April 2015), Wellington|
|Air New Zealand Link operated by Eagle Airways||Palmerston North (ends 6 February 2015)|
|Air New Zealand Link operated by Mount Cook Airline||Auckland, Christchurch|
|Air2there||Blenheim, Kapiti Coast|
|Golden Bay Air||Charter: Karamea, Takaka|
Air New Zealand operate daily up to ten flights to Auckland, thirteen flights to Wellington, Two flights to Palmerston North and seven flights to Christchurch.
As Nelson is a maintenance hub for Mount Cook Airline's ATR 72 aircraft, occasional Air Nelson Q300 services are changed to the ATR 72 if the aircraft needs a check in Nelson. On peak days, Beechcraft 1900D aircraft operated by Eagle Airways (also part of Air New Zealand) visit Nelson for extra capacity.
Sounds Air offer a number of scenic and charter flight services out of Nelson. Popular charters are Blenheim, Picton, Karamea and Awaroa. Sounds Air provides the main air link into Awaroa for Awaroa Lodge.
- List of airports in New Zealand
- List of airlines of New Zealand
- Transport in New Zealand
- List of busiest airports in New Zealand
- Nelson Airport, official site
- Charts for NZNS at AIP New Zealand
- Airport information for NZNS at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for NSN / NZNS at Great Circle Mapper. Source: AIP, CAA, DAFIF.
- Welcome to Nelson Airport
- Nelson Aerodrome, Evening Post, Volume CXXIII, Issue 32, 8 February 1937, Page 7
- "Air Nelson to be given leeway over expansion". The Nelson Mail. Retrieved 27 October 2011.
- "Airport has 10 years to upgrade terminal". Nelson Mail. 11 June 2014.
- http://www.adventureflightsgoldenbay.co.nz/Heaphy_Flights_Walk.html Adventure Flights Golden Bay - Heaphy Flights Walk
- http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/press-release-2014-airnz-announces-outcome-of-review-to-deliver-more-sustainable-regional-air-services Air New Zealand Media Release - 11 November 2014
- http://www.goldenbayair.co.nz/heaphytrack.html Golden Bay Air - Heaphy Track
- Sounds Air