Nepalis in the United Kingdom
5,943 (2001 UK Census)
59000 ( UK census 2011)
|Regions with significant populations|
|London · Reading · Thurrock · Shorncliffe · Folkestone · Farnborough · Aldershot · Doncaster · Sandhurst, Camberley, Maidstone, Croydon, Basingstoke, Plumstreet, Kent, Guildford and in other parts of United Kingdom|
|English · Nepali · Khambu · Limbu · Gurung · Magar|
|Hinduism · Buddhism · Kirant Mundhum · Roman Catholicism · Protestantism|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Nepali people · Gurung · Limbu · Rai · Magar, Chhetri, Newar Etc|
Nepalese in the United Kingdom (also British Nepalese or Nepalese Britons) are British citizens or full-time residents of the United Kingdom whose ethnic origins lie fully or partially in the South Asian nation of Nepal.
From the first quarter of the 19th century, Gurkhas from Nepal had served in the British Army, and Gurkha soldiers' families lived in the UK. The Nepalese people living in the UK belong to different caste and have different languages.
According to the 2001 UK Census, 5,943 Nepali-born people were residing in the UK. Office for National Statistics estimates suggest that 42,000 Nepali-born people were resident in the UK in 2010. The president of the Himalayan Yeti Nepalese Association estimates that 50,000 Nepalese live in the UK.
There are between 3,000 and 3,500 Nepalese Gurkha soldiers who are enlisted in the UK armed forces. According to the 2001 UK census, 34.8 per cent of Nepalese-born people in London were working in hotels or restaurants, 15.7 per cent in real estate and renting, 15.3 per cent in wholesale and retail, 9.6 per cent in health and social care.
Nepalese communities in the UK
- Sherpa Kidug Organisation UK
- Helmu Sherpa Organisation UK
- Phaplu Sherpa Yula UK
- Junbesei Sherpa Yula UK
- Khumbu Sherpa Yula UK
- Kirat Yakthung Chumlung UK (KYCUK)
- UK Magar
- Tamang Society of UK
- Thakuri Samaj UK
- Tamu Dhee UK
- Tamu Pye Lhu Saangh
- Pasa Puchah Guthi UK
- Kirat Rai Yayokkha UK
- Centre for Nepal Studies UK (CNSUK)
Gorkhali Samaj UK(GOSUK), Lig Lig Samaj UK, Chhetri Samaj UK, United Nationalist Nepalese.
- "Plaque: Nepali Community". Londonremembers.com. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Retrieved 2008-12-30.
- "Estimated population resident in the United Kingdom, by foreign country of birth (Table 1.3)". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- Sims, Jessica Mai (2008). Soldiers, Migrants and Citizens: The Nepalese in Britain. London: Runnymede Trust. ISBN 978-1-906732-09-7.
- "Nepali Samaj UK official website".
- "Tamang Society of UK official website".
- "Tamu Dhee UK official website".
- "Kirat Rai Yayokkha UK official website".