Nikon 1 series
The Nikon 1 series are high-speed mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras featuring Nikon 1-mount lenses, announced on 21 September 2011. The series currently includes Nikon 1 V1, Nikon 1 J1, Nikon 1 J2, Nikon 1 S1 with a 10 megapixel image sensor and the Nikon 1 V2 and Nikon 1 J3, both with a new 14 megapixel image sensor and further increased autofocus speed to 15 frames per second (fps).
At the time of announcement, Nikon claimed that it features the world's fastest autofocus, with 10 fps—even during videos—based on hybrid autofocus (phase detection/contrast-detect AF with AF-assist illuminator), as well as the world's fastest continuous shooting speed (60 fps) among all cameras with interchangeable lenses. Slow-motion movies can be captured in up to 1200 fps with reduced resolution. Its inbuilt intervalometer enables time-lapse photography.
- Nikon CX format with 2.7 times crop factor. Although the image sensor area of 13.2 x 8.8mm2 is about half of the Micro Four Thirds system and a quarter of the Nikon DX format, it delivers a good performance for this small size, comparable to current Four-Thirds sensors like Olympus E-5, Olympus PEN E-P3, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 or older DSLRs like Nikon D40.
- CMOS image sensor with integrated 73 phase detection sensors providing hybrid autofocus with both phase detection and 135-point contrast detect AF delivering the currently fastest commercially available autofocus.
- Nikon 1-mount and F-mount adapter FT1 enabling the use of all F-mount lenses especially with integrated autofocus motor. The FT1 adapter mounts and meters with all AI-P, AF, AF-S, D and G lenses and compatibles providing autofocus with all lenses with integrated autofocus motor. It further mounts Pre-AI, AI, AI-S and E lenses without metering as well as lenses which jut out the F-mount (needing mirror lock-up on cameras with mirror). Although not recommended, it is used with teleconverters for extreme telephotos.
- Lenses featuring Rear Focusing (RF) system with reduced moving masses and world's fastest extremely quiet Voice Coil motors (VCM) or Stepping (STM) motors to speed-up autofocus.
- 3-Speed silent Power-Drive motor zoom in the Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom optimized for shooting HD movies.
- Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom integrates a high amount of technologies: High number of 21 elements including 1 High Refractive Index (HRI, >2), 3 Extra-low Dispersion (ED) and 2 aspherical lenses, Super Integrated Coating (SIC), internal focusing (IF) with world's fastest quiet Voice Coil motor, 3-speed silent PD-Zoom, Vibration Reduction (VR II), retractable lens mechanism and 7 rounded diaphragm blades. Together with the Canon EF 28-300mm lens it is the only current superzoom with 20 elements or more.
- Fast electronic shutter (1/16 000) or additional electronically controlled mechanical focal-plane shutter.
- The V1 incorporates a 'multi accessory port' currently used for dedicated 1 Series flash and GPS units as well as AS-N1000 cold shoe adapter for mounting the ME-1 stereo microphone.
- High-speed dual multi-core image-processing pipelines with 600 megapixels per second speed: Expeed 3.
- Smart Photo Selector Mode enables selection of the best candidates out of a high-speed sequence.
- Advanced High-definition video recording allows uninterrupted filming while capturing high-resolution photos.
- Firmware updates of the Nikon 1 lenses are possible.
- As all Nikon DSLRs with CMOS sensor it integrates an active D-Lighting system, automatic correction of lateral chromatic aberration and vignetting.
- Autofocus modes include 3D subject-tracking, 41 points auto-area, manual focus and others.
- Inbuilt time-lapse photography intervalometer
Nikon developed an entirely new system of lenses and lens mounts for the Nikon 1 series. These lenses are only compatible with 1-mount cameras. Nikon has not debuted a new lens mount since the F mount that routine users of the Nikon D series are accustomed to. This is the first redesigned lens mount that Nikon has debuted since the F mount made its debut half a century ago. These lenses are meant to be extremely portable and compact, just like the 1 J1. There are 9 NIKKOR lenses that Nikon has developed to fit this camera, that cover a range of photographic abilities.
- 1 NIKKOR 10mm f/2.8
- 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8
- 1 NIKKOR 32mm f/1.2
- 1 NIKKOR VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 
- 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
- 1 NIKKOR VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom
- 1 NIKKOR VR 10-100mm f/4.0-5.6
- 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6
- 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6
Each of these lenses is designed for a different purpose, ranging from photographing nature to shooting movies. These lenses range from US $189.95 to US $896.95, with the 1 NIKKOR 32mm f/1.2 being the most expensive. These lenses are compatible with both the Nikon 1 J1 and the Nikon 1 V1. While the 10mm lens shows some distortion and softness in the corners, the 10-30mm lens shows minor distortion and is fairly consistent. The 30-110mm zoom shows about the same distortion as the 10-30mm, but would not be apparent to many everyday users of the camera.
Additionally to the already available lenses, flash, cases, GPS unit etc. Nikon presented at PDN PhotoPlus International Conference + Expo 2011 many forthcoming lenses, LED video and macro lights and video kits.
Independent reviews and image comparisons at all ISO speeds in JPEG and additionally Raw are available. Both cameras were criticized for having DSLR-like price. DxO Labs awarded the J1 sensor an overall score of 56.
- Nikon announces new Nikon 1 compact system camera range with two cameras, lenses and accessories Whatdigitalcamera
- Horaczek, Stan (September 21, 2011). "New Gear: Nikon J1 and V1 Interchangeable Lens Cameras". Bonnier Corp. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- Nikon announces 1 V2 - a more photographer-friendly, 14MP 1 series camera Dpreview
- Nikon announces Nikon 1 system with V1 small sensor mirrorless camera Dpreview
- Nikon 1 Cameras: CX Format Image Sensor Nikon USA
- Nikon 1 series: The tests Dxomark
- Nikon 1 J1 vs Olympus PEN EP3 vs Panasonic GF3 Dxomark
- Camera Sensor Ratings DxOMark
- Imaging-resource: Sample images Comparometer Imaging-resource
- Nikon Unveils Interchangeable Lens Camera System PCMag
- Nikon 1 System First Impressions Dpreview
- That New AF-S ED-IF G VR PC DC DX Nikkor is a What? Thom Hogan
- Nikon Mount Adapter FT1 Compatible Lens List Nikon
- Nikon V1 + FT1 Mount Adapter + 400mm f/2.8 + Teleconverter TC 2.0 Experimental
- Nikon 1 V1 and FT1 on Nikon AF-S 600mm f/4 VR lens + TC-14EII teleconverter
- 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm PD-Zoom Lens Preview Cameradebate
- Nikon 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 VR Lens Patent Could Be For New Nikon Mirrorless System Photographybay
- Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM Nikon USA
- Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom Dpreview
- Nikon EXPEED 3 Nikon USA
- Nikon 1 Cameras Smart Photo Selector Mode Nikon USA
- "Nikon 1 J1 Product Brochure". Nikon Corporation. p. 30. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Nikon 1 J1 Product Brochure". Nikon Corporation. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Nikon 1 Camera Lenses". Nikon Corporation. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- Keenan, Jim. "Nikon 1 J1 Review". Digital Camera Review. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- PDN PhotoPlus show recap Nikonrumors
- Nikonlinks: Nikon 1 Series review links Nikonlinks
- Nikon 1 J1 review summary Dcviews
- Nikon 1 V1 review summary Dcviews
- Nikon 1 V1 review: Studio scene comparison (Raw) Dpreview
- DPreview: Nikon 1 V1 / J1 Review
- Nikon 1 Lineup Brochure Nikon (PDF)
- Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lens Nikon
- Nikon 1 NIKKOR lenses & Nikon 1 accessories
- Nikon 1 Camera Accessories
|Nikon 1-mount CX-format MILC timeline|