Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences
The Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences shortly NIMS is a premier institute and autonomous university in Hyderabad, Telangana, India. It is established under the Act of Andhra Pradesh State Legislature.
The institute is located in Punjagutta area at the prime center of the twin cities and spread over an area of about 23 acres (93,000 m2). It has the constructed area of more than six lakh sq.ft. The Institute serves through 27 Departments. Out of them, 14 are Super Specialties and others are Supporting Departments. The Institute has a bed strength of 946 beds, out of which 603 are in General Wards, 166 in private rooms and 177 in emergency and post operative care.
It publishes the monthly journal "The Clinical Proceedings of Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences" for the last 20 years.
The Nizam's Charitable Trust in 1961 thought of starting a specialty Hospital for orthopaedic patients with an initial investment of Rs. 55 Lakhs. The foundation stone was laid on July 16, 1961 by Sri Morarji Desai, Minister for Finance, Government of India.
The Nizam's Orthopaedic Hospital was inaugurated by Sri S. K. Patil, Union Minister for Railways and was declared open by Her Highness, the Princess of Berar on December 22, 1964. The first Superintendent of the hospital was Dr. M. Ranga Reddy, a well known Orthopedic Surgeon, who convinced Nizam to build a specialty hospital for Orthopedics and played an important role in its construction. The Hospital was under the Nizam charitable trust until it was handed over to AP Government. Dr Ranga Reddy was the administrator of the hospital also till then.
The Trust handed over the hospital to the Government of Andhra Pradesh on February 13, 1976 uder a 99 year lease agreement for which the trust receives rs 1 each year. The hospital was renamed as Nizam's Institute of Orthopaedics and Specialities (NIOS). It was inaugurated by Sri Jalagam Vengala Rao, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh on March 31, 1976.N
The Government established the Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) on March 11, 1980 as an autonomous body registered under A.P. Public Societies Registration Act. This was inaugurated by Dr. Marri Chenna Reddy, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh on March 17, 1980.
With the objective of developing into a full fledged super specialty hospital for patient care, research and training, the Government, transferred NIOS to IMS on March 25, 1986 under the name of Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences, during the tenure of Sri. Nandamuri Taraka Ramarao, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, with Prof. Dr. Kakarla Subba Rao as the first Director.
With the objective of further developing the educational and research facilities the Andhra Pradesh State Legislature passed a bill making NIMS a university. The Act came into effect from June 18, 1989.
- To create a Centre of Excellence for providing medical care, educational and research facilities of high order in the field of medical science in the existing superspecialties and such other superspecialties that may develop in future, including continuing Medical Education and Hospital Administration
- To develop patterns of teaching in postgraduate level and in superspecialties so as to set a high standard of medical education
- To provide for training in paramedical and allied fields, particularly in relation to superspecialties
- To function as a referral hospital and
- To provide for postgraduate teaching and conduct of research in the relevant disciplines of modern medicine and allied sciences, including interdisciplinary fields of physical and biological sciences
- Dr., M Ranga Reddy First Superintendent and an eminent orthopedic surgeon
- Dr. Duvvuri Bhaskara Reddy, an eminent Pathologist
- Dr. Kakarla Subba Rao, an eminent Radiologist
- Dr. I. Dinakar, an eminent Neurosurgeon
- Dr. D. Raja Reddy, an eminent Neurosurgeon
- Dr. D. Prasada Rao, an eminent Cardiothoracic Surgeon
- Dr. A. Dharma Rakshak, an eminent Cardiothoracic Surgeon
- Dr. Narendranath, an eminent Ortho surgeon served with Padmasree
The Institute conducts several courses recognised by Medical Council of India in about 40 disciplines and issues certificates. Selection is based on the performance in the Entrance Test called "NIMSET"
- M.D. in Anesthesiology, General Medicine, Pathology, Radiation Oncology, Radiology and Hospital Administration.
- M.S. in Orthopaedics
- D.M. in Cardiology, Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Nephrology, Neurology, Medical oncology
- M.Ch. in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery, Urology
- M.H.M in Hospital Management
- B.Sc. in Nursing
- B.P.T [bachelor of physiotherapy]
- M.P.T in Neurosciences
- M.P.T in Musculoskeletal Sciences
- M.P.T in Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Sciences
- Postgraduate Diploma Courses in 13 paramedical fields
NIMS University, Rangapur
NIMS University, Rangapur was set up in February 2009 on a 184 acre campus.