Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
|Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies|
|Motto||Catering to the Educational Needs of Gifted Rural Youth of AP|
|Chancellor||Prof. D. Raj Reddy|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. R. V. Raja Kumar|
|Location||Nuzvid, Basar, and Rajiv Knowledge Valley, Andhra Pradesh, India|
The Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies (RGUKT), also known as Andhra Pradesh - International Institute of Information Technology (AP-IIIT), is a university in Andhra Pradesh, India. The university was established by Govt. of Andhra Pradesh under Act 18 of 2008. It has three campuses which are located at Basar, Nuzvid, and R K Valley (Idupulapai- Kadapa),
- The idea to create IIITs in Andhra Pradesh came in April 2007, at the request of the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Y.S.Rajashekar Reddy. He was dissatisfied with the opportunities available to the rural youth and wanted to set up at least three IIITs in the three regions of Andhra Pradesh which would ensure better opportunities for rural students.
- A Task Force was created under the Chairmanship of Prof. K.C. Reddy. This Task Force produced a report to the government recommending the structure and functioning of the proposed institutions.
- In March 2008, the AP Government created RGUKT by an act of the Legislature as a full-fledged university which would initially admit roughly the top 1% of the rural students into the three residential campuses.The first batch of about 6,500 tenth class graduates was admitted into a six year integrated program in August 2008.
- The initial selection was based on the local best model where students receiving the top marks in every subject were selected.
- 1 RGUKT Educational Objectives
- 2 Objectives of the University
- 3 Academic Programmes
- 4 Campus Web Links
- 5 References
RGUKT Educational Objectives
- The primary objective of establishing RGUKT was to provide high quality educational opportunities for the aimed rural youth of Andhra Pradesh. The initial goal was that at least the top 1% of the rural graduates would be given the opportunity to study at RGUKT.
- The top 1% of rural graduates is around 6,000 to 7,000 per year. Thus, the three campuses would need residential accommodation for about 36,000 students for the six year integrated program.
- At present, most universities in India and in Andhra Pradesh follow the affiliated college structure model where the main role of the university is to set the curriculum and conduct examinations to ensure that the students have indeed learned the material prescribed in the curriculum. Most colleges have an entering class of 100-300. Having an entry class of 6,000 students leads to issues of scale. This is unique to RGUKT and is being attempted for the first time in India. In the US, several of the larger universities do have enrolments of 20,000 to 30,000. However not all of them tend to be residential universities. Thus RGUKT, as a green field university, represents a unique experiment in the educational arena.
- The assumption is that ICT (Information and Communication Technologies), will permit the scaling of the learning environments by one to two orders of magnitude is currently possible.
- Another key educational objective of RGUKT is to use advances in learning sciences and explore the use of modern cognitive science tools in education and learning.
- Phrases such as "Learning by Example", "Learning by Doing", "Problem-Based Learning", "Self-Paced Learning", etc become facilitated when every student can be assured to have a personal computer that does not have to be shared with anyone else.
Objectives of the University
- To impart to each student broad skills of Learning to Learn, Learning to Think and Learning to Live.
- To reinforce core values of integrity, respect for all, and care for environment.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge in the emerging fields such as Information Technology, Nanotechnology, etc.
- To make special provisions for integrated courses including Humanities, Social Sciences and other interdisciplinary areas to impart broad-based education including soft skills.
- To function as a resource center for knowledge management and entrepreneurship development in the emerging technologies.
- To establish close linkage with industry to make teaching and research at the institutes relevant to the needs of the economy, at national and global levels.
B.Tech Features of 6 years Integrated Course. The program offered by the RGUKT consists of a six-years integrated course after 10th class examination leading to a B.Tech. degree. The first part of the course is a two-years Pre University Course (PUC) (equivalent to (AP) Intermediate) followed by a second part of four-years Engineering Course. At present the Pre- University part of education offers specialization in tracks such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Life sciences (equivalent to M.Bi.P.C (with IT)).
Pre- University Course (PUC Period of 2 Years)
This is equivalent to the two year Intermediate (AP) education. The program provides a qualitative plus two education in itself and lays a er foundation for the technical and professional courses ahead. It has an inbuilt system for remedial education for the students who are relatively weak. In addition, there is a foundation course in IT, preparing students to make full use of the Information Technology and Communication resources provided by the RGUKT. There is a permitted exit after Pre- University if the student chooses to go for a career in other professional programs. The program also provides short-term courses in Humanities and Social Sciences.
Bachelor's Programm (B.Tech Period of 4 Years)
Upon completion of six years of education, each year consisting of 2 semesters, the graduates are awarded a B.Tech. degree in any one of the following engineering disciplines given below:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Material Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Depending on the performance and by earning additional credits, it is possible to get a B.Tech. with two Majors, i.e., one in Computer Science and the other from among Chemical, Civil, Electronics and Communication, Materials Science and Mechanical. Alternatively it is possible to get a degree with one Major and two Minors or one Major and one Minor. One of the Minors may be from Business Management, Economics Mathematics, Social Sciences, Statistics, Telugu, Kuchipudi, Biology, Vocal and Mrudangam or any one of the engineering branches other than their major.
Post Graduate Programme
M.Tech Interdisciplinary Masters program in Computational Engineering is two years of education, first year consists of 3 semesters and second year consists of two semesters with research oriented thesis work. This course has been designed incorporating advanced Computing Techniques and Tools to suit for the people seeking TEACHING/RESEARCH CAREER in computational Engineering/Sciences competing with world class curricula.
- Vision for Research Activity
- Ph.D Programme Regulations
- Thrust Areas of Research
- Signing of MoU
- Professor incharge of Research Program
Prof. Nori Prakasa Rao Visiting Professor
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org