North Kosovska Mitrovica
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2014)|
|North Kosovska Mitrovica|
|Severna Kosovska Mitrovica
Ceвepнa Косовска Митровица
Mitrovica e Veriut
North Kosovska Mitrovica
|District||District of Kosovska Mitrovica|
|• Mayor||Goran Rakić|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code(s)||+381 28|
North Kosovska Mitrovica (Serbian: Ceвepнa Косовска Митровица / Severna Kosovska Mitrovica, Albanian: Mitrovica e Veriut) is the northern part of the city of Kosovska Mitrovica, which the river Ibar divides from the rest of the city. It is a part and de facto capital of North Kosovo , a region with an ethnic Serb majority that functions largely autonomously from the remainder of the ethnic-Albanian-majority Kosovo and acts as the region's capital. Also it is an administrative centre of Association of Serb municipalities.
North Kosovska Mitrovica currently represents the most important political, cultural, educational and health centres for Serbs in Kosovo. It is the largest urban area in Kosovo where Serbs are the ethnic majority. In the city the University of Pristina is located, which is under war circumstances relocated from Pristina to Kosovska Mitrovica and which is the only University where Serbs and other Slavic speakers are able to attend schooling in Kosovo.
In 2013, after November elections in Kosovo, North Kosovska Mitrovica officially became a separate municipality.
The FK Partizan Kosovska Mitrovica, FK Trepca Sever and Rudar Kosovska Mitrovica are football clubs that are located in this part of the city. FK Partizan has merged with FK Trepca. Currently FK Trepca plays in Serbian fourth rank Morava Zone League while FK Rudar Kosovska MItrovica plays in Football First League of North Kosovo.
Culture and education
Notable people from North Kosovska Mitrovica
- Aleksandar Čanović, Serbian football player.
- Nikola Lazetić, former Serbian football player.
- Žarko Lazetić, former Serbian football player.
- Milan Biševac, Serbian international Football player.
- Miloš Krasić, Serbian international Football player.
- Darko Spalević, former Serbian football player.
- Borislav Stevanović, former Serbian football player
- Stevan Stojanović, former Serbian football player, who won the European Cup with Red Star in 1991.
- Kosovska Mitrovica
- North Kosovo
- Kosovo Serb enclaves
- New bridge in Kosovska Mitrovica
- Kosovska Mitrovica District (Serbia)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North Kosovska Mitrovica.|