|Regions with significant populations|
|Islam (Sunni, Sufism)|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Jidwaq, Absame, other Darod groups, and other Somali clans|
Members of the Ogaden clan primarily live in the central Ogaden plateau of Ethiopia (Somali Region), the North Eastern Province of Kenya, and the Jubaland region of Southern Somalia. They also inhabit Somalia's major cities such as Mogadishu and Kismayo.
According to Human Rights Watch, the Ogaden is the largest Darod clan in Ethiopia's Somali Region, and may account for 40 to 50 percent of the Somali population in Ethiopia. The Ogaden clan "constitutes the backbone of the ONLF". In particular, the ONLF operates in areas inhabited by the Reer Abdulle sub-clan of the Mohamed Zubeir.
There is no clear agreement on the clan and sub-clan structures and many lineages are omitted. The following listing is taken from the World Bank's Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics from 2005 and the United Kingdom's Home Office publication, Somalia Assessment 2001.
- Darod (Daarood)
- Mohammed Abdullah Hassan, the Sayyid; religious and nationalist leader of the Dervish State; called the Mad Mullah by the British.
- Admiral Mohammed Omar Osman, current ONLF chairman
- Asli Hassan Abade, first Somali female pilot
- Farah Maalim, former Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly of Kenya
- Hassan Abdullah Hersi al-Turki, Islamist leader in Somalia and military leader in the Islamic Courts Union
- Mohamed Abdi Mohamed ("Gandhi"), former Minister of Defense of Somalia; prominent anthropologist and activist
- Mohamed Yusuf Haji, former Minister of Defence and acting Minister of Internal Security and Provincial Affairs in Kenya
- Abdi Mohamed Omar, president of the Somali Region of Ethiopia
- Nuruddin Farah, renowned writer and winner of the 1998 Neustadt International Prize for Literature
- Ugaas Abdulrahman Muhumad Qani, former President of the Somali Region in Ethiopia
- Ahmed Mohamed Islam, President of Jubbaland, chairman of the Raskamboni movement
- Aden Abdullahi Nur, former Minister of Defence
- Hassan Abdillahi, founder and President of Ogaal Radio
- Shukran Hussein Gure, MP for Garissa County
- Sheikh Abdi Qani Sheikh Ahmed Aw adan, Minister of Justice and Religion Affairs 1970-1973
- Mahamoud Mohamed, former Chief of General Staff of the Kenya Defence Forces
- Hussein Maalim Mohamed, Minister of State in the office of the presidency
- Aden Bare Duale, current Majority Leader in the Kenyan Parliament
- Nathif Jama Adam, Governor of Garissa County and former Head of the Sharjah Islamic Bank's Investments & International Banking Division
- "Collective Punishment", p. 14
- "Collective Punishment", p. 13
- "Collective Punishment", p. 4
- "Collective Punishment", p. 27
- Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.55 Figure A-1
- Country Information and Policy Unit, Home Office, Great Britain, Somalia Assessment 2001, Annex B: Somali Clan Structure, p. 43
- Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.57 Figure A-3
- Mukhtar, Mohamed Haji (2003-02-25). Historical Dictionary of Somalia. ISBN 9780810866041.