Powers (U.S. TV series)
|Based on||Powers (graphic novel) by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Brian Michael Bendis
Michael Avon Oeming
|Production company(s)||Circle of Confusion
Sony Pictures Television
Powers is an upcoming American television adaptation of the Powers comic book series. The series will premiere in December 2014 on the PlayStation Network, the PSN's first original programming. The first two episodes of the series will be written by Charlie Huston and directed by David Slade.
The comic book series involves homicide detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim who investigate cases involving superheroes and supervillains, which are common in their world. They work in a special homicide division called Powers.
Sony Pictures had optioned the series for film production in 2001. In 2009, Brian Michael Bendis, creator of the comic book, confirmed plans to develop a Powers television show on FX as well as his involvement as the writer of the pilot for the show. In February 2011, a greenlit pilot of the show scripted by Charles H. Eglee was announced as a co-production by Sony Pictures Television and FX Networks. Charles S. Dutton became the first castmember in May 2011 when he signed on to play Captain Cross. Imminent filming in Chicago within weeks was announced in June 2011. The following week, Lucy Punch was cast as Deena Pilgrim. Katee Sackhoff had campaigned for the part. Although FX was rumored to be courting Kyle Chandler for the part of Walker, the next day Jason Patric was cast in the part. Later in June, Carly Foulkes was cast as Retro Girl and Bailee Madison was cast as Calista.
Filming began in Chicago in early July 2011 and ended in early August. In November 2011, FX announced that it would retool and reshoot the Powers pilot. Bendis tweeted that "the reshoots are planned for January and are all about tone and clarity". In April 2012, more scripts were ordered and writing continued, but reshoots and recasting were being discussed by the network.
On March 19, 2014, it was announced that Powers would become the first original television series on the PlayStation Network, to stream exclusively on PlayStation consoles and will stream in December 2014. On July 16, 2014, Susan Heyward, Max Fowler and Adam Godley were cast as Deena Pilgrim, Krispin Stockley and Captain Cross.
- Fitzpatrick, Kevin (2014-06-10). "Sony’s ‘Powers’ TV Series to Hit Playstation in December". Screen Crush. Retrieved 2014-06-12.
- "David Slade To Direct First Two Episodes Of Sony TV’s ‘Powers’". Deadline. July 9, 2014. Retrieved July 9, 2014.
- Melrose, Kevin (2011-02-25). "FX Greenlights Powers Pilot". Spinoff. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Melrose, Kevin (2009-02-06). "Bendis confirms Powers TV series headed to FX". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Ching, Albert (2011-05-07). "Charles S. Dutton First Official POWERS Cast Member". Newsarama. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Ching, Albert (2011-06-15). "Bendis Says POWERS Pilot Is 'Filming In Just A Few Weeks'". Newsarama. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2011-06-20). "Lucy Punch Set As The Female Lead In FX's Drama Pilot 'Powers'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Porter, Rick (2011-06-21). "FX's 'Powers' pilot packs a (Lucy) Punch". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2011-06-21). "Jason Patric Set To Star In FX's 'Powers'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Hibberd, James (2011-06-22). "Jason Patric speaks out on FX's 'Powers' role". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Lesnick, Silas (2011-06-26). "Will go from T-Mobile Girl to Retro Girl". SuperHeroHype. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Filipponi, Pietro (2011-06-26). "POWERS TV Series Taps T-Mobile Model Carly Foulkes for Role of Retro Girl". The Daily Blam. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Filipponi, Pietro (2011-07-08). "First Photo from the Set of FX's New TV Series POWERS". The Daily Blam. Retrieved 2011-07-19.
- Holliday, Darryl (August 11, 2011 [updated October 3, 2011]). "Chicago, cops & super-criminals in new TV pilot". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2011-11-17). "FX Passes On Pilot 'Outlaw Country', Will Retool 'Powers'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Brian Michael Bendis (2011-11-17). "@BRIANMBENDIS status". Twitter. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- Pantozzi, Jill (2012-04-09). "Good News? The Powers TV Show Is Starting Over". The Mary Sue. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- Sharma, Amol (2014-03-19). "Sony to Add Original TV Shows for PlayStation". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- Franich, Darren (June 9, 2014). "‘Powers’: Comic book TV show coming to Playstation Network in December". Entertatinment Weekly. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "Susan Heyward Lands Female Lead In Sony Playstation Series ‘Powers’, Max Fowler & Adam Godley Also Cast". Deadline. July 16, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2014.