|First appearance||Secret War #2 (July 2004)|
|Created by||Brian Michael Bendis
|Alter ego||Daisy Louise Johnson|
|Team affiliations||Secret Warriors
|Notable aliases||Quake, Cory Sutter|
|This section requires expansion. (December 2012)|
A member of the international espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D., she was created by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Gabriele Dell'Otto, and first appeared in Secret War #2 (July 2004). During Secret Invasion, she joins Nick Fury's Secret Warriors under the codename Quake.
Daisy Johnson appeared as a supporting character in the 2010-2013 Avengers series, from issue #19 (January 2012) through its final issue #34 (January 2013).
Fictional character biography
Johnson, a superhuman with seismic (earthquake-producing) powers, is the illegitimate daughter of Calvin Zabo, the supervillain known as Mister Hyde. Taken in by S.H.I.E.L.D., she is under the direct supervision of its longtime executive director, Nick Fury, even after the latter's defection from the agency during the events of the Secret War series. She possesses a "Level 10" security clearance, the only known agent aside from Fury and the Black Widow (Natasha Romanova) to do so.
In her most visible action, Johnson has helped to defeat the powerful mutant rebel leader Magneto by inducing a vibration in his brain that made him lose consciousness. She states in this appearance that if the superhero team the Avengers let her join, she would adopt the moniker "Quake".
However, the Avengers had splintered due to the events of Civil War, and she is later seen reunited with Nick Fury, in disguise, who gives her new orders to recruit the descendants of various villains and heroes in order to assist him with the threat against the Skrulls in their Secret Invasion. Having taken the name Quake she attacks the Skrulls during their invasion of Manhattan, along with her teammates. The team becomes a part of Fury's Secret Warriors, with Daisy acting as field leader of the Caterpillars.
While investigating Norman Osborn's escape from the Raft, Johnson is drafted by Captain America into the Avengers under her superhero name Quake. Daisy takes over as director of S.H.I.E.L.D. when Nick Fury fully retires and his son joins as an agent. Maria Hill is currently the Acting Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., but Johnson is still considered Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. However, she was indefinitely suspended after launching an unsanctioned operation to assassinate Andrew Forson, the Scientist Supreme, leader of the supposedly legitimate A.I.M. Island, Hill promoted to Director in her place.
Powers and abilities
Daisy generates powerful waves of vibrations which can produce effects resembling those of earthquakes. She is immune to any harmful effects of the vibrations. She also has or was given a form of psychic shielding.
A superb hand-to-hand combatant, skilled all-around athlete, and excellent marksman. She was a leading espionage agent, adept at undercover assignments.
Her training under Fury enables her to target her seismic waves with pinpoint accuracy, causing targeted objects to vibrate themselves apart, from the inside out. This is shown in her being able to prevent the detonation of an antimatter bomb implanted in the body of Lucia von Bardas by destroying its power supply, and exploding the heart of Wolverine while in his chest, to halt an enraged attack on S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Nick Fury.
Quake has appeared alongside Tigra, Wonder Man, and The Vision in the Ultimate line of comics. It is later revealed that prior to becoming Quake, Daisy Johnson was a S.H.I.E.L.D. cadet that was discharged from the organization after fighting back against an attempted sexual assault from a superior. She was then approached by Nick Fury, who offered her superpowers in exchange for joining his West Coast Ultimates. The project was shut down and later reactivated by a corrupt California governor who sicced them on the Ultimates. Quake decided to surrender and make a greater good by telling President Captain America the whole plan, who managed to put an end on it along the rest of the Ultimates.
In other media
- Daisy Johnson appears in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "Who Do You Trust?" voiced by Lacey Chabert. In order for Nick Fury to meet with Tony Stark, Daisy Johnson used her powers to drive Griffin berserk as part of a diversion for the other Avengers to fight Griffin while Black Widow abducts Tony Stark. Daisy Johnson was with Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Mockingbird when Tony Stark is shown the body of the Skrull that was posing as Viper. After Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, and Black Panther leave Avengers Mansion, Nick Fury tells Daisy Johnson that Iron Man is playing out the Skrull within the remaining Avengers awaiting for the imposter to mess up enough to be exposed. She later appears in "Avengers Assemble" helping Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Fist, and War Machine destroy Terrax.
- Secret Avengers vol. 2 #7 (Oct 2013)
- Notes section of Secret War collected hardcover edition
- New Avengers vol. 1 #19
- Mighty Avengers #13
- Secret Invasion #4
- Avengers vol. 4 #19 (Jan. 2012)
- Battle Scars #6 (June 2012)
- Uncanny Avengers #1 (Nov 2012)
- New Avengers #31 (October 2012)
- Secret Avengers vol. 2 #1 (February 2013)
- Secret Avengers vol. 1 #5
- Age of Ultron #2
- Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #22
- Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #23
- Ultimate Comics: Ultimates #24
- "Is AVENGERS: EARTH’S MIGHTIEST HEROES Getting ‘Unlimited’ in Season Two?".
- Daisy Johnson at Marvel.com