Pretty Maids All in a Row
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
|Pretty Maids All in a Row|
Pretty Maids All in a Row theatrical poster
|Directed by||Roger Vadim|
|Produced by||Gene Roddenberry|
|Written by||Francis Pollini (novel)
|Music by||Lalo Schifrin|
|Cinematography||Charles Rosher Jr.|
|Release dates||28 April 1971|
|Running time||91 min.|
Pretty Maids All in a Row is an American mystery film that is part dark comedy, part murder mystery. It starred Rock Hudson alongside Angie Dickinson, and was released on April 28, 1971. Roger Vadim directed the film, which Gene Roddenberry produced, having dramatized a novel written by Francis Pollini into the screenplay from which Vadim worked.
Pretty Maids was Vadim's first American film. The April 1971 issue of Playboy magazine published an article about the movie written by Vadim. This includes a nine-page pictorial of actresses Angie Dickinson, Gretchen Burrell, Aimee Eccles, Margaret Markov, Playboy bunny Joyce Williams, and others.
The story is set in "Oceanfront High School," a fictitious American high school in the height of the sexual revolution. Young female students are being targeted by an unknown serial killer. Meanwhile, a male student called Ponce is experiencing sexual frustration, surrounded by a seemingly unending stream of beautiful and sexually provocative classmates.
Michael "Tiger" McDrew (Hudson) is the high school's football coach and guidance counselor. But there is another aspect of Tiger's character: He is quite fond of sexual encounters with female students. Tiger tries to befriend Ponce and help him deal with his sexual needs by encouraging him to seek the affections of a sexy substitute teacher, Miss Betty Smith (Dickinson).
Meanwhile, one young girl after another turns up dead. A police detective captain, Sam Surcher (Telly Savalas), investigates the case but never obtains enough courtroom-admissible evidence to make an arrest. Tiger is suspected, but never caught red-handed. Surcher suspects that Tiger has faked his own death when he notices that his supposed widow is hiding a ticket to Brazil.
- Rock Hudson: Michael "Tiger" McDrew
- Angie Dickinson: Betty Smith
- Telly Savalas: Police Captain Sam Surcher
- John David Carson: Ponce de Leon Harper
- Keenan Wynn: Police Chief John Poldaski
- Barbara Leigh: Jean McDrew, Tiger's wife
- James Doohan: Follo
- William Campbell: Grady
The "Pretty Maids:"
- Brenda Sykes: Pamela Wilcox, an African American student
- Joy Bang: Rita
- Gretchen Burrell: Marjorie
- Joanna Cameron: Yvonne Millick, a dark-haired student
- Aimée Eccles: Hilda Lee, an Asian American student
- June Fairchild: Sonny Swangle, an always-laughing student
- Margaret Markov: Polly
- Diane Sherry: Sheryl
- "Read New All-Time Top 10 Lists From Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen, Francis Ford Coppola, Quentin Tarantino & More | The Playlist". Blogs.indiewire.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- Pretty Maids All in a Row at the Internet Movie Database
- Pretty Maids All in a Row at Rotten Tomatoes
- NNDB listing
- Allmovie.com listing