Puyo Puyo Tetris
|Puyo Puyo Tetris|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, multiplayer, online multiplayer|
Puyo Puyo Tetris (ぷよぷよテトリス Puyopuyo Tetorisu?) is a puzzle video game developed by Sonic Team and published by Sega for multiple platforms in 2014. The game is a crossover between the Puyo Puyo series and the Tetris franchise, and features various gameplay modes incorporating both aspects. The game includes characters modeled after the seven Tetriminos, which are different puzzle pieces each made of four blocks.
Puyo Puyo Tetris was the first Tetris-related title published by Sega since Tetris Collection, an installment in the Sega Ages series, in 2006, eight years prior. Puyo Puyo Tetris adopts the guidelines used in current Tetris titles, so the rotation patterns and colors of the Tetriminoes differ from Sega's previous releases.
Puyo Puyo Tetris was released for the Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3 on February 6, 2014 in Japan. Versions for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were released on December 4, 2014.
- VS: Players play with either the basic Puyo Puyo or Tetris rules, attacking with obstructions as they clear Puyo Puyo chains or Tetris lines.
- Puyo-Tet Mix (ぷよテトミックス?): Puyos and Tetriminos are dropped into the same puzzle field, allowing for mixed chains (ミックス連鎖?) when clearing Puyo Puyo chains and Tetris lines consecutively. Tetriminos can crush Puyos it is placed over.
- Swap (スワップ?): Players play in a Puyo Puyo field and a Tetris field at the same time, the two swapped after a set time.
- Big Bang (ビッグバン?): Players clear Puyo Puyo chains or Tetris lines quickly given easy fields.
- Party (パーティー?): Various items drop into the fields, giving special effect when cleared together.
Settled about a year after Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, Amitie, Arle, and Carbuncle accidentally fell into Ringo's world again, thus reuniting the protagonists. But there's a bit of trouble after tetriminos start falling in Ringo's world. Ringo, Amitie, Arle and Carbuncle are transported into a spaceship where they meet T and his partner O. Now all of them must work together to solve the case of why tetriminos are falling from the sky.
|This section requires expansion. (August 2014)|
The game was originally scheduled to be the direct sequel to Puyo Puyo 7. However, due to various circumstances, it was rescheduled that Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary be released next and this game was pushed later.
|Console||Release Date||Distribution Method||Notes|
|3DS||February 6, 2014||Hard Copy and Downloadable||
|Wii U||February 6, 2014||Hard Copy and Downloadable||
|PlayStation 3||February 6, 2014||Hard Copy and Downloadable||
|PlayStation Vita||February 6, 2014||Hard Copy and Downloadable||
|PlayStation 4||December 4, 2014||Hard Copy only||
|Xbox One||December 4, 2014||Hard Copy only||
The 3DS version was the best-selling one in Japan, with 44,627 units sold in the first week compared to 10,306 for the PS3 version and 8,973 for the PS Vita version. The Wii-U version did not chart.
PlayStation LifeStyle gave the Vita version 8/10 and called it "an example of a franchise entry done right," somewhat disliking Big Bang Mode but with high praise for Adventure and Swap. Japanese magazine, Famitsu, gave the game a score of 9/9/9/8 
||This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: the section is overly excessive in detail. (August 2014)|
- T (テイ Tei?)
- Voiced by: Kaoru Mizuhara
- He is the main protagonist, and the king-to-be of the tetrimino planet, replacing the previous king X. Because of this, he traveled to other worlds to train his ability. He first meet Andou Ringo, the protagonist of Puyo Puyo 7, when she accidentally got transported to Tetrimino spaceship along with Amitie, Arle Nadja, and her bunny-like sidekick and pet, Carbuncle. He became fast friends with her after a friendly battle and learned about Puyo Puyo battle from her. He initially helped them to clear the Tetriminos that were covering up both Ringo's and Amitie's world. In the end, he and the others eventually stop the problem and finally depart. It's hinted that he gained a crush on Ringo, mainly in the epilogue.
- O (オー Ō?)
- Voiced by: Miina Tominaga
- T's sidekick and the controller of the spaceship. He is often with T due to his job. He makes friends with both Arle and mainly Carbuncle, and just like Carbuncle, he only speaks one word, 'Bi'. He is the Tetris mascot character.
- S (エス Esu?)
- Voiced by: Yui Horie
- A rude girl, and supposedly the youngest in the Tet space crew. She first met with Amitie, who was trying to find Ringo and Arle, eventually befriending her after a not-so-warm welcome. Just like Amitie, she has a child-like personality, and when she is in trouble she often cries. She also calls Z her Papa due to his big body, despite he is in truth a robot.
- I (アイ Ai?)
- Voiced by: Yuki Tai
- An alien dog who is the smartest group of Tet space crew. Despite being the smartest, he is easily scared, and cries like a dog each time he gets scared, mainly when J&L toy him around for entertainment. He is the engineer and the scientist of the crew. He is shown to bring a diamond-like device to divine things.
- J & L (ジェイとエル Jei to Eru?)
- Voiced by: Miyuki Kathleen
- Trouble-making fraternal twins who often toy I around, J is a girl while L is a boy. They both love making trouble for the crew, mainly I, by calling him "Wan-Chan". They often speak together, and often fight each other, mainly when they lose in a Puyo Puyo or Tetris battle.
- Z (ゼット Zetto?)
- Voiced by: Ryunosuke Watanuki
- The robot guardian of the spaceship Tet. He a is large, round robot who obsessed with body health. He is first encountered when Arle and Carbuncle got separated from Ringo and Amitie, and thinking that she broke in, started attacking them, but eventually stops. He is very loyal to the crew, and he doesn't know S calls him Papa due to his big body.
- X (エックス Ekkusu?)
- Voiced by: Kazuki Yao
- The king of Tetrimino planet. He is mysteriously missing from the planet in order to fix the Tetris portal that broke due to its instability. He encounterd O in the Primp town battle place. He is later encountered again in the road to the Tetris portal, and later in the Tetris portal, which is shaped like a door. Although they almost fail to repair the portal, two previous game antagonists, Satan, with his power to control darkness, and Ecolo, with his power of time traveling and space manipulation, helped repair the portal to its normal state. He finally departed with the Tet space crew when it was fixed. He has his own chapter in the downloadable content, which focuses on him getting out of his dream.
- "Puyo Puyo Tetris". MobyGames. 24 April 2014. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "「ぷよぷよテトリス」の発売日が2014年2月6日に決定。「フィギュア付き3DS/3DS LLカバーセット」も同時発売". 4Gamer. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "「ぷよぷよテトリス」のPS4/Xbox One版が2014年12月4日に発売決定。他機種版ではDLCだった要素を，アドベンチャーモードの進行によって入手可能". 4Gamer. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "『ぷよぷよテトリス』ビッグバンやパーティーなどの新ルールを一挙公開！". ファミ通.com. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- "『ぷよぷよテトリス』の続編の可能性は!? 細山田プロデューサーと対戦しながらインタビューしてきました". 電撃オンライン. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- "商品情報". 『ぷよぷよテトリス』公式サイト. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- 2014-06-22 Japanese Sales Charts: PS Vita & PS3 Fall by About 4,000 Units Each; Terraria Debuts on Vita, PSLS
- 2014-06-17 Puyo Puyo Tetris Review, PlayStation LifeStyle
- Famitsu review scores (1/28/14)
- Official website (Japanese)