Redmond High School (Washington)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008)|
|Redmond High School|
|17272 NE 104th
Redmond, Washington, 98052
|School district||Lake Washington School District|
|Enrollment||Approx. 1900 (2012)|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
Redmond High School (RHS) is a public secondary school located in Redmond, Washington, one of four high schools in the Lake Washington School District (LWSD). Redmond Middle School and Evergreen Middle School(grades 6-8) feed into RHS(grades 9-12).
RHS sits atop Education Hill in Redmond, in a new building which opened in 2003 with a two story structure that features many environmentally friendly energy alternatives such as a large photovoltaic array and a state-of the-art geothermal heating system. The original building opened in the 1960s and had been extensively remodeled during the 1983-84 and 2011-2012 school years.
As of 2010, the principal of RHS is Jane Todd. The school's two assistant principals are Lloyd Higgins and Rebekah Westra. Jane Todd entered her position at the start of the 2006-07 school year, replacing the former principal Brian Hunter. Rebekah Westra replaced Melissa Pointer at the beginning of the 2010-2011 year, who transferred to a position as the principal of an elementary school 4 years after joining the school at the same time as Jane Todd.
Mike Town, the AP Environmental Science teacher, and five students were presented the Presidential Environmental Youth Awards by President George W. Bush in 2008 for leading the "Cool Schools Program," which resulted in the reduction of over $550,000 of energy and waste costs for the district, through conservation measures. Town also received the Green Prize in Public Education by the NEA for the program, which has prevented the emission of 1.5 million tons of Carbon dioxide, and has since included over 150 schools worldwide.
The Performing Arts Center (otherwise known as the PAC) showcases performances by the RHS Concert and Chamber Choirs, Wind and Jazz Ensembles, Symphonic Band, Chamber, String, and Symphonic Orchestras, and plays by Redmond Drama. Redmond's Music Department attends competitions and festivals throughout the region annually, including the PLU Orchestra Invitational, and the 'Music in the Parks' festival at Disneyland and Silverwood Theme Parks. In 2009, both orchestras performed at Carnegie Hall. Several years, students in the band program have been selected to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The PAC is also the performing venue for the Eastside Symphony.
Over 44 student organizations exist at RHS (excluding school sanctioned sports), ranging from ethnic groups such as Latinos Unidos and Asian Student Association, to sports such as Bowling and Yoga.
In 2011, the RHS Model UN debuted at the Washington State Model UN (WASMUN) Conference at Seattle University. The DECA Class operates the Student Store, and since 2008, has sent at least 10 participants to the International Career Development Conference per year.
Redmond High School's sports department participates in the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association's Kingco Athletic Conference, at the 4A level. Redmond High School is one of only two high schools in the world to produce two IQA World Cup Champions, Mark Hannah, '07, and Zachary Doleac, '08. Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School, of Sudbury, Massachusetts, is the other.
Redmond High School's mascot is the Mustang, and the school colors are predominantly dark green and gold, though in most ceremonies and events black is also included. A customary tradition against the only real rival of RHS, Eastlake High School is to completely wear black at the "Black Out" sporting events. Fan participation cheers are also a tradition at the games. A spectator 'wave', dubbed the 'Roller Coaster' and a group jump know as 'Truckin' are favorites.
Redmond High School Pep Band is organized yearly to play at home football and basketball games. Three students (one for football and two for basketball) are selected as Pep Band Directors, though only the football director is known as Drum Major. New and popular songs are added by request of the students and staff. The current fight song (2003-) is set to the Blazing Saddles theme, with lyrics written by band director Andy Robertson. The former fight song was set to the University of Wisconsin–Madison's fight song, On, Wisconsin!.
The school newspaper, "The Blaze" is distributed in color on a monthly basis and is written by the Newspaper class. Videos Sporting events, club announcements, and other school functions are broadcast, along with different creative features.
- Jeff D'Amico - former MLB player (Kansas City Royals)
- Brian Falkenborg - former MLB player (Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres, St. Louis Cardinals)
- Pedram Javaheri - Meteorologist, CNN International Weather Anchor
- Rick Jacobson - Director
- Scott Macartney - Olympic & World Cup alpine ski racer
- Tom Niedenfuer - former MLB pitcher (Los Angeles Dodgers, Baltimore Orioles, Seattle Mariners, St. Louis Cardinals)
- Scott Rockenfield - Drummer of Queensrÿche
- Andy Sisco - former MLB player (Kansas City Royals, Chicago White Sox)
- Nick Thune - Comedian
- Cody Votolato - Waxwing (band)/The Blood Brothers (band)/Jaguar Love
- Trevor Guyton - Former NFL defensive end (Minnesota Vikings)
- Chris Wing - Gulf War Vet. NFL & NFL Europe New England Patriots, New York Jets & Amsterdam Admirals.
- Michael Conforto - 2013 Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Year, drafted by the New York Mets in the 1st round of the MLB Draft.
- Redmond High School Web Site, retrieved 2008-05-13
- "Seattle Times School Guide", The Seattle Times, retrieved 2008-05-13
- Whitely, Peyton (2008-08-04), "Seattle Times", The Seattle Times
- Redmond Reporter
- , RHS Addition.
- Redmond High School Web Site, retrieved 2007-09-27 (under "Staff" tab)
- 2006 KCTS Golden Apple Award Winners (– Scholar search), 2006, archived from the original on October 19, 2007, retrieved 2007-09-28[dead link]
- Gardner, James Ross, "Best Schools 2007", Seattle Metropolitan 1 (10): 63
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- Redmond Reporter
- Redmond Drama Boosters
- News From The Schools
- Eastside Symphony
- RHS Clubs and Organizations
- LWSD News From the Schools 2008
- Redmond Reporter 2009
- Redmond Reporter 2010
- Redmond Reporter 2011
- 1984 Redmond High School Year Book
- CNN. 1997-08-17 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1997/08/17/wing_patriots/
|url=missing title (help).
- Lake Washington School District's profile for Redmond High School
- Redmond High School's Annual School Report for 2005-2006
- Real time chart of power generated by school's solar panels