Research Councils UK
|Legal status||Government agency|
|Purpose||Funding of UK science research|
|Seven UK Research Councils|
|RCUK Executive Group (Chairman - Professor Rick Rylance)|
|Affiliations||BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC, NERC, STFC, TSB, UKSA|
Research Councils UK (RCUK) is a strategic partnership between the seven UK Research Councils. It enables the Councils to work together more effectively to enhance the overall impact and effectiveness of their research, training, and innovation.
RCUK was established in 2002 following a Government review. RCUK is not a legal entity and its work is undertaken by employees of the seven organisations. They use the term Research Councils UK (RCUK) only when engaging in joint action.
RCUK adds value to individual Research Council activities by:
- Enabling dialogue about research priorities by facilitating an open and collective approach to investing in multidisciplinary research and training
- Facilitating cooperation between Councils and external stakeholders by promoting dialogue, collaboration, and partnership
- Communicating the activities and views of the Research Councils to increase policy influence and collective visibility
- Collaborating with academia and other funders to reduce bureaucratic tape for researchers and university administrators
- Improving operational performance by sharing best practices
Each of the Research Councils is an equal partner in RCUK, and each uses its best endeavours to identify and pursue opportunities for mutually beneficial joint working with one or more of the other Councils.
Leadership of the partnership is provided by the chief executives of the research councils, working together through the RCUK Executive Group, currently chaired by Rick Rylance, Chief Executive of the Arts and Humanities Research Council.
- Arts and Humanities Research Council
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Economic and Social Research Council
- Medical Research Council
- Natural Environment Research Council
- Science and Technology Facilities Council
- "Research Councils UK Executive Group". RCUK. Retrieved 2010-06-02.